'From Rock to Opera'

kurzweil_dude

Has anyone successfully gone from mixing/working with Rock to orchestras?

Been thinking recently I want to try start working noise (in particular the idea of monis for orchestra intrigues me - although Im not one of those desk-happy "I must mix"-people) on some orchestral gigs, not sure how exactly.

In my corporate work Ive done a bit and really enjoyed it. The only way I can see the route is to try get in touch with some venues that house shows, such as Liverpool Philharmonic etc (I'm based in the north west).

Any suggestions/horror stories/etc?

erm, I'm not so sure orchestra's have much need for mixing in their day-to-day gigs......

+ 1. Most MDs/Conductors of orchestras that I've worked with only ever really ask for ambient mic'ing, if that, especially in theatres.

in particular the idea of monis for orchestra intrigues me

Even when you do individually mic an orchestra they dont tend to get monitors.

They dont need to know what other people are playing, they follow the conductor.

If your doing the rock band with an orchestra type show then the conductor will almost certainly have a mix, but even then orchestra monitors are an optional nicety

Even on this show...

...which has used a fairly sizeable Martin MLA PA system, there is no monitoring for the orchestra.

Ah cool. I know Sound By Design who pretty much look after RAH do monis there.

If you want to work on orchestral gigs the ability to read score and understand the sections and layout(s) of an orchestra are all very desirable skills.

Good job I studied Music up to A Level :)

SBD are still, AFAIK, the 'tame' PA company for the Hall. However, RG have been doing Class Spec for a long while.

Not sure I appreciate the "tame" reference, but you're correct in that Sound By Design hold the contract for the provision of in-house audio at the RAH and that Classical Spectacular is an RG Jones show.

Monitoring for orchestras does happen, but not usually for a standard classical piece. It can be used, for example, when there is a mixture of orchestra and "other" instruments, be it a vocalist, a band or other fusion of styles. It can also come into play when the orchestra is very large, TV are involved or the musicians need to follow a click. Combinations of regular wedges, small hot-spot type speakers and IEMs are all used.

SBD are still, AFAIK, the 'tame' PA company for the Hall. However, RG have been doing Class Spec for a long while.

Not sure I appreciate the "tame" reference, but you're correct in that Sound By Design hold the contract for the provision of in-house audio at the RAH and that Classical Spectacular is an RG Jones show.

Monitoring for orchestras does happen, but not usually for a standard classical piece. It can be used, for example, when there is a mixture of orchestra and "other" instruments, be it a vocalist, a band or other fusion of styles. It can also come into play when the orchestra is very large, TV are involved or the musicians need to follow a click. Combinations of regular wedges, small hot-spot type speakers and IEMs are all used.

Best response yet, thanks! Glad I was right with some of my knowledge and assumptions. :)

See what scores you can find (hint free scores on line) and try to find some that you can get a video for. Then try to follow the score to an orchestra.

Learn classical music speak, read all about it, it really does make the players more comfortable and co-operative.

Yes the usual orchestras have their usual venues where they will play LIVE and unaided. Once outdoors sometimes some help with level and crowd coverage is used. Maybe you need to look at the outdoor concert promotion companies. My local park has a 4 day concert season -Jazz, Afro-carib, heavy asian, and the RPO -now finding a system that suits all of those for 5K + people each time must take thought and skill.

I used to see the name of a fellow music college student crop up often as sound for BBC big concerts -he was a very good instrumentalist and a good technician. A Level especially if it's a while ago may not be much.

Archived