RJ45 Breakout

lite_lad

Hi al,

Looking for some of these (around 20 which is why I cant get them straight off ebay and its for a company that makes purchasing through ebay VERY difficult...) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-breakout-adaptor-/130986345060?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item1e7f650264

does anyone know a decent supplier who doesn't cost the earth? RS have them but for £15 a piece which is a little too pricey for something to make life a little easier!

10 pounds from CPC part number AV16469 - but still seems expensive

Probably not that expensive, all considered. The connector cost would be about £1.50, PCB £1.00, design cost: £1.00, manufacturing: £2.00... by the time you've added some mark-up and transport costs, it's easy to see how the price can get so high. These won't be a high-volume item, so economies of scale don't apply.

Could you simply chop a patch lead in half and use some choc block? Or design your own PCB and solder it together? RS has a free PCB design package, and there are a few online PCB prototype companies (e.g. PCBTrain) who could produce the boards for you. Another option might be to look for an RJ45 to IDC adapter - Neutrik EtherCon perhaps?

I did try looking on there but obviously wasn't searching right! thats definately a step in the right direction... but yeah still seems a bit steep for some circuit board with a few bits stuck onto it! half tempted to make them myself, although not sure I can face soldering 40 of them!

And Patrick the reason for not just chopping in half is that its for an installation which looks like its going to be removed and reinstalled a few times and I don't think the thin wires will hold up to that...

fyi the reason we're having to convert to bare cable is because its going through a slip ring which has its connections on spade terminals!

There will be plently available with punchdown rather than screw terminal if that works? Ethercon punchdown in D chassis mount..

http://static-6.yourspares.co.uk/media/p/sky/700/m/750757.jpg

£5.36+VAT

Sorry just seen that's been suggested already, apologies for the repetition

Archived