15amp socket shutters

Trav400

If the assumption is that a tester is brought in from outside the company, then he/she will not have any direct knowledge/experience of the environments within even a small business...

In which case both they and the person engaging their services are not adhering to the CoP which says...

Administrators or managers of premises are required to know their legal responsibilities as laid down in EAWR. They should understand and apply the legislation and assess the risks in respect of electrical equipment and appliances within their charge...

All basic stuff so far but it then continues...

...or which they are contracted to inspect, test, and repair or replace.

It goes on...

The test operative should be prepared to declare that an item of equipment is safe for continued use. ... The test operative should be prepared to advise if a certain item of equipment is unsuitable for the particular location or external influences...

And whilst your opinion I assure you is highly regarded at the moment that's all it is, isn't it? And individual opinion is what divides whether some of us say pass or fail here.

Except some of us have on the shelf behind us...

BS EN 60065

BS EN 60950

BS EN 60958

...which we've been designing equipment, which has been independently tested,inspected and CE certified, to for over 30 years.

Plus...

Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment

Memorandum of Guidnace on the Electricity at Work Regulations

etc etc. ;)

The bottom line to this discussion can be summarised as...

•  
  • Most employers don't understand what PAT testing is really about and what their legal responsibilities are. They see those little green stickers as their 'get of of jail free' card.
  • Most employees don't understand what PAT testing is really about and what their legal responsibilities are. They see those little green stickers as their 'keep out of hospital free' card.
  • Most companies doing PAT testing don't understand what PAT testing is really about and what their legal responsibilities are. They see those little green stickers as revenue.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to smile - There I was in that old topic moaning about a PAR can with the mesh removed, and now I'm doing it myself!

I suspect we're 100% in agreement that we want safety - but seem to disagree with rules, guidance and interpretation that don't quite suit us as individuals. We've all got personal bits of kit we consider safe, but others would baulk at!

How many would own up to the PASS-OK on a display being a relief!

The only really annoying feature I've got cross about over the past few years are those people who charge to test the item, but charge extra to text the IEC cable - when if they used the appliance and the lead for the test, a PASS would cover both.

My old college are looking for a Head of HR - who is also the Head of H&S. An unlikely combination, but no doubt they will find somebody who can do both (on paper). I can imagine the new rules already!

those people who charge to test the item, but charge extra to text the IEC cable - when if they used the appliance and the lead for the test, a PASS would cover both.

May well have mentioned it before, the machine minders have to do so many tests per day, and then they go onto bonus. Imagine the look on one of these person's faces when he "discovers" a pallet with a 4x4x3 foot box full of IEC leads to the brim. :) . Seen some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

12V birdies (not the transformers, the birdies)

A low voltage smoke machine remote (but not either of the smoke machines)

Time to slay another myth...

PAT testing applies to ALL electrical equipment irrespective of the design voltage, even battery powered torches.

The legislation which requires electrical equipment in the workplace to be safe is the Electricity at Work Regulations (EAWR) and this applies to ANYTHING electrical ...

"electrical equipment" includes anything used, intended to be used or installed for use, to generate, provide, transmit, transform, rectify, convert, conduct, distribute, control, store, measure or use electrical energy;

As the GN to EAWR says...

Electrical equipment

21 'Electrical equipment' as defined in the Regulations includes every type of

electrical equipment from for example a 400 kV overhead line to a battery-powered

hand lamp. It is appropriate for the Regulations to apply even at the very lowest

end of the voltage or power spectrum because the Regulations are concerned with

for example explosion risks which may be caused by very low levels of energy

igniting flammable gases even though there may be no risk of electric shock or

burn. Therefore no voltage limits appear in the Regulations. The criteria of

application is the test as to whether 'danger' (as defined) may arise.

Page 17 of the new "maintaining portable electrical equipment" HSG107 states that Battery operated equipment less than 40v and Low voltage equipment less than 50v ac or 120v dc, needs no user checks, no formal visual inspection and no combined inspection and test.

Archived