LED bar eye candy programming on a budget!

norty303

So, I've got some 8 pixel LED bars, running on Chamsys PC wing, but with 2 touchscreens. Playbacks are limited, but Execute window real estate less so...

What hints and tips do you have for creating effects that can be busked and varied, but using up as few playbacks as possible (I have movers, blinders and stage lights to consider too). Can be FX and/or pixel mapped effects, but ideally something that can be 'worked' to stop it becoming repetetive.

Or am I asking for too much, and the best way is simly to have lots of things to grab?

Im assuming you are using MagicQ, if so, the magicQ Playback wing may be able to help you with your situation, im not aware of the prices, but it will provide plenty of Playbacks for you!

Let me know if this helps,

Not really Jordan, but thanks for the input.

The idea of the post was to find out the best ways to make the most of what is available, which is limited, rather than simply adding more kit (which costs money).

I really like the way that playing with segments and parts on FX over a series of bars changes the nature of the effect, even when doing quite simple stuff.

I only use 1 fader with 4 cues for my led cans ,full on,slow strobe, fast strobe and random strobe ,everything else is busked in, either via the pallets and fx screen,or with pre programed stuff on the exec screen

Yes, big washes, flashes, etc are good, but I'm going to have effectively 64 separate RGB fixtures to manipulate, so all on or off or flashing seems a bit (for want of a better word) crass. I'm after the spread colour and dimmer chases, etc

I've programmed for multiple fixtures before, but never really for large numbers of RGB fixtures that is bordering on pixel screen, so I'm not sure if I'm missing some techniques or not.

I tend to use two faders for "pixels" when keeping it simple, one has a big stack of pre-prepared looks created using both pixel-mapping and normal groups/effects (much better when done with a grid for group selections). The other fader controls the speed of the effects!

I usually program the all cells of my battens into one version of my "strobe" fader as well, useful for those moments when you really need to make an impact!

Effects engines are great, but don't forget the old school way before they existed. Chases!

Functions like run forward, back, bounce, random and end on last step can be used really cleverly.

For example, a chase of 64 steps, with each step turning on one individual cell consequentially. Then speed it up really fast and run it in random. Awesome strobe look.

Or the same idea but each step 'bumps' to a different colour.

Tgen you could use 8 steps, each one adjusting the attribute of one of the columns / rows within the grid.

Don't forget overlapping / offsetting fixtures (or what ever chamsys may call it)

This will probably open up loads of ideas for you.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have them set up in my workshop at the moment and its interesting to see the different ways the same effect can be achieved.

Yes, spread(FX) and offset(pixelmapper) are great ways to change a look ;)

Archived