Another stage collapse

trussmonkey

Another stage collapse. Still blamed on the weather but with some pretty suspect rigging practises.

http://www.jimonlight.com/2013/08/12/another-structure-falls-stage-roof-made-from-genie-towers-collapses-in-north-carolina/

In my humble opinion this company should be banned from ever operating again. Rigging a roof on genie lifts in the first place is wrong let alone doing it outdoors and with no outriggers !!!

L&N Productions a Christian organisation that believes in the power of prayer. They love load straps and spansets but never use them on speaker cabinets. They have this crazy system of support and may or may not use diagonal cable bracing and/or guys. They use the same flimsy staging that seems common in the States and their safety dismantling of the stage was done from roofracks.

I despair.

L&N Productions a Christian organisation that believes in the power of prayer. They love load straps and spansets but never use them on speaker cabinets. They have this crazy system of support and may or may not use diagonal cable bracing and/or guys. They use the same flimsy staging that seems common in the States and their safety dismantling of the stage was done from roofracks.

I despair.

All the examples on their web page use the same hoist supports as the stage which collapsed. Looks to me as if they've been (very) lucky in he past and have got complacent.

I'm loving that their idea of a roof skin is actually a cheap plastic tarp and that to stop water pooling on it they raise one small bit but leave the rest completely flat....

Looks like it doesn't rain much in the part of the world where they are operating. All the photos on that page show very "open" stages.

Looks like it doesn't rain much in the part of the world where they are operating. All the photos on that page show very "open" stages.

Errrm?

Located along the Atlantic Coast, North Carolina is no stranger to hurricanes.

An average rainfall of 45 inches, incidents of hurricanes destroying all but 5 out of 357 houses in one town and tearing the roofs of those 5, July, the season for outdoor events is the "rainy season", winds of 90mph are not "rare", an average year sees $5m worth of damage by summer thunderstorms, hail and rain. Errrm?

Not being judgemental here and trying to be reasonable and balanced I would suggest that the operators of that stage are ###### lunatics. Not just ordinary delusionals but ###### nutters.

No I wasn't being sarcastic... the photos on their website appear to show hardly any rain protection (e.g. side walls) on the dodgy stage structures, and as Tom observed the roof would just turn into one big lake which would rip the tarp off the edges. So they appeared to be "good weather" structures only... and of course no allowance for wind.

No I wasn't being sarcastic... the photos on their website appear to show hardly any rain protection (e.g. side walls) on the dodgy stage structures,

A lot of companies in the US, especially in the more southerly states, market their structures as "sun shades" rather than roofs. If a shower does come through, everything on stage gets tarped until it passes. But you can't actually run a gig in the rain.

There was a well-documented failure of a similar roof arrangement at a county fair a few years ago. Someone on the PSW forums took "before" and "after" photos. The most damning evidence is that the roof fell, but the pop-up gazebo over monitor world is still intact, and the plastic lawnchairs left out for the audience are still in neat rows.

...however these guys have clearly added the extra truss pieces to create "run-off" of rainwater (whilst clearly misunderstanding basic physics) as there's absolutely no other possible use for the sections they've added so clearly they believed that their structures could withstand a little bit of rain.

What's perplexing is the noise issue - those plastic tarps CANNOT be pulled tight and do make a lot of noise as they move so in the slightest breeze the roof would have been making a fair bit of noise and billowing quite noticeably.

Archived