Control of many RGB Pixels

robocow

I have a project - a many foot christams tree - that has many feet of RGB pixels on it (about 24 universe DMX over artnet). I am searching for a good pixel mapper / effects generator (almost meadi server ) to contlr this lot in a meaningful way. And to do it without a seam (cunning mapping?)

In the past I have used arkaos & avolites kit, and love both, but the mapping is falling short here.

I have now tried madrix, showcad, sunlite, lightjams, and a few other free things. Nothing is really offing a great 3d map or adequate level of programming like I'm used to with avolites kit.

Anyone have any great RBG pixel mapping tools/ software recommendation. I tell you I'm considering programming my own at this rate! It needs to be PC based ideally, as its going to be left under the tree!

ETC PixelToy can do that over E1.31 Streaming ACN.

I just had a play on a 5x5 grid of 13x13 RGB panels and it works really nicely.

That's 25 universes, so 24 is easy.

(It'll go quite a bit further, I just got bored of patching both that and my pixelmapping visualiser.)

Check out things like Arkaos, Hippotiser etc, theyre media servers, and they are built to use odd shaped surface maps for direct video, they will output acn or artnet and sometimes via dongles straight DMX.

I have a project - a many foot christams tree - that has many feet of RGB pixels on it (about 24 universe DMX over artnet). I am searching for a good pixel mapper / effects generator (almost meadi server ) to contlr this lot in a meaningful way. And to do it without a seam (cunning mapping?)

In the past I have used arkaos & avolites kit, and love both, but the mapping is falling short here.

I have now tried madrix, showcad, sunlite, lightjams, and a few other free things. Nothing is really offing a great 3d map or adequate level of programming like I'm used to with avolites kit.

Anyone have any great RBG pixel mapping tools/ software recommendation. I tell you I'm considering programming my own at this rate! It needs to be PC based ideally, as its going to be left under the tree!

The Avolites AI Media Server's are perfect for mapping onto objects in 3D space. To give you an idea of their ability they were used to map the pixels at the London 2012 Olympics opening and closing ceremonies. On that occasion they were controlled using Avolites Sapphire Media consoles but you can use anything, for example an Avolites Titan Mobile.

Hi, its probably also worth looking at a small catalyst system. You probably don't NEED to do it in 3d (not in the server at least) and can probably make it all happen in the content, which youll need to do anyway for something thats a full circle regardless of your server if you want to end up with a seamless join.

Catalyst would be a much cheaper solution than a over-powered high spec server, you could get a mac mini with a 4 layer dongle for very little.

Equally a Hippo Critter or something similiar could do the job?

But really the clever bit is in the content.

(have just realised that actually for 24 universes you would need a bigger catalyst dongle, but could still be hired/bought for very little)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess at the core of this is the mapping, and the content creation for that mapping. Arkaos still haven't really moved on with their mapping, its horrific. I would love the budget for a dedicated media server, but this seems unlikely, and not really suitable to be left alone for a month under a tree.

FWIW I may as well just try to use chamsys!

Have you looked at Pharos? We can pixel map - you could have multiple maps, store content locally and output ArtNet. You should look at our LPC X controller - www.pharoscontrols.com/products/lighting_controllers/lpc_x

Our designer software is freely available for you download from our website - www.pharoscontrols.com/support.php#designer

If you'd like any further help drop me an email at sales@pharoscontrols.com

Tim

Actual 3D mapping isn't really needed for tubes and cones, you just need to ensure the content itself is seamless.

I assume for a cone that relies on squashing the horizontal pixel density at the top and stretching it at the bottom?

Catalyst would be a much cheaper solution than a over-powered high spec server, you could get a mac mini with a 4 layer dongle for very little.

I've recently acquired Mac mini and have been playing with a demo of catalyst. My research has suggested that it's been discontinued; the only dongles I've seen for sale have been second hand and cost thousands. Where could I get one "for very little"?

Sorry for the slight OT.

Actual 3D mapping isn't really needed for tubes and cones, you just need to ensure the content itself is seamless.

I assume for a cone that relies on squashing the horizontal pixel density at the top and stretching it at the bottom?

My pixel denisty is roughly even across the cone. Fking nighmare, the content will need to be like a Mercator projection and wrapped. Still better than top down spiral, probably...

No need for anything that complicated.

A cone is just a circle with a sector removed - make the sector bigger or smaller depending on the ratio of height : radius.

The centre of the circle is the top of the cone, the circumference is the bottom edge.

Your content only needs to 'jump' the gap across the sector.

Archived