Tech Spec Poser

Doug Siddons

It's a fine line - you'd not generally expect the drummer to turn up without skins and expect to be able to borrow them from the sound engineer, but there tends to be a more blurry line with electronic equipment.

I generally fall into the belief they should be able to get their sound either to a Mic, or DI Box, so guitarists should have a Jack cable for example.

For acoustic guitars I wouldn't expect them to turn up with a cable but if its one resembling a knotted piece of string with gaffa strain relief then I'd rather they use one of mine instead!

I keep a jack - jack of useful length with each DI box, held to the case of the DI with a P-clip. It stops them getting packed away with the artist's gear "by accident" at the end of the gig...

For acoustic guitars I wouldn't expect them to turn up with a cable but if its one resembling a knotted piece of string with gaffa strain relief then I'd rather they use one of mine instead!

I keep a jack - jack of useful length with each DI box, held to the case of the DI with a P-clip. It stops them getting packed away with the artist's gear "by accident" at the end of the gig...

In at least one case I have found that the DI box will go with the lead as well :angry:

I think leads are ok - but anything more sophisticated or specific, or critical is just a bit scary. Not that we couldn't do it, but any muso who cobbles together iPads and software and tells you he has a keyboard made by a company who has never made musical instruments, is a warning bell in action!

Jack leads I think are to be expected.

One company I freelance for has hiretrack set up to add 1x jack to jack (long) to the prep sheet every time you add di box, if you know what the di box is for and it wont need it you dont have to take the cable, but it means by default theres one available.

I had a lead guitarist at a festival this weekend turn up with his guitar, amp and pedals- then ask me for two jack leads (guitar to pedal and pedal to amps), a 13 to iec, and a pedal power adapter.

Jack cables, Iv got them but you dont look very professional having to borrow.

kettle lead, I dont carry spares. but he's in luck, its a sunny day im not bothering to turn the front wash on untill much later, he can have the one from the lighting desk.

PA companies carrying the power units for boss pedals... thats a new one on me. told him his options we're find one, play without it or not play.

I agree with pete, I provide a 13a socket and a mic, the bit inbetween that makes the power turn into the noise is all them

Call me an old cynic if you like but, much as I do like to be helpful wherever I can, if the musician's kit isn't working and you try but fail to fix it (whatever the instrument) then it becomes "the sound engineer couldn't get it to work", whereas if the sound engineer says "as soon as you can get me a suitable signal I'll be happy to put it into the PA and mix with it" it then becomes "the musician's equipment wasn't working". One thing that is never fun is having to take the blame for something that is someone else's fault (how often have we all baulked at the phrase "we appologise for the delay due to technical problems" when the talent is playing up backstage?).

kettle lead, I dont carry spares. but he's in luck, its a sunny day im not bothering to turn the front wash on untill much later, he can have the one from the lighting desk.

You're not serious...??!!

So when he's packed up whilst you were busy elsewhere after the gig (say) and ends up 'accidentally' packing your IEC away (possibly because he knows he'll need it later somewhere else....) where does that leave you when you need to power up the LX???

;)

We deal with a lot of charity / community style events, so we always have a collection of kettle leads, jack leads, etc. etc. But I'd have been stumped a request for an iPad dock adaptor. Could probably manage a charger for them though.

Expectations are different once you have touring shows coming through your venue, or if there's established bands on a festival line up. But within reason, it doesn't hurt to be seen as the "good guy" that's helped someone out. The goodwill it generates easily outweighs the cost of anything that gets pinched.

I get the concept, but having lost so much kit by being helpful, my helpfulness does have limits. "I don't suppose you have a DI box I can borrow?". "Well, I did, but one of our visiting bands borrowed it last year ....... Oh look there it is, in your mic box.... so that's two you want to borrow this year?" True story, and I've got quite used to seeing my mic cable acting like homing pigeons and returning after a year on holiday. With some bands, asking for things is just because they're lazy and can't be bothered to go back to the truck!

I get the concept, but having lost so much kit by being helpful, my helpfulness does have limits. " True story, and I've got quite used to seeing my mic cable acting like homing pigeons and returning after a year on holiday. With some bands, asking for things is just because they're lazy and can't be bothered to go back to the truck!

Thats why all our mic leads are red, !

On saturday we also had security ask us for ear plugs!

You're not serious...??!!

So when he's packed up whilst you were busy elsewhere after the gig (say) and ends up 'accidentally' packing your IEC away (possibly because he knows he'll need it later somewhere else....) where does that leave you when you need to power up the LX???

;)

a) it was a festival, when he finished playing my main thing to do was get him off my stage,he wasnt getting away with it.

b) Im a monitor engineer, I think your vastly overestimating the degree to which I care whether the lights come on or not :P

(or failing that I could've turned them on on the dimmers if needed)

Archived