LED wash lights

Digger65

hi

am in the market for some RGBA (CW) LED moving head wash lights that I can keep in the rig (6 OH and 4 FOH perch)

to give us a even full colour wash when required or go to back bar as flashy's

so far have seen the Mac Aura, Chauvet Q wash and Robe DLF

budget around 10-15K for 8 -10 units

like the GLP stuff also

impression 90 -any thoughts? (just as used lighting has some in around our price range~)

I know its probably been asked before so apologies but as the market is fairly swift I terms of new kit coming out...

thanks in adv

D

If you like the impression 90, how about the impression 120? these have zoom capabilities. Also the martin 301? You can pick these up quite cheep now 2nd hand. Stage Electrics have them £1200, you could prob's parter and get more for your money!

J

• 2 weeks later...

I can recommend the Chauvet Q wash 560. These are RGBWA, produce very good coverage and zoom very nicely. And at quite a reasonable price point.

I do get slight fringes on some colour combinations - probably zoom not taking different colours to quite the same angle. The one other "issue" that I have is that the bottom of the dimmer curve introduces a slight delay when fading - this avoids the snap off at ~5% that happened with earlier LED fixtures but means that I can't achieve a SNAP blackout.

Other than that one issue, I love them.

I would advise against purchasing second hand LED lighting equipment.

There are a number of reputable vendors of used lighting equipment, and I would recomend these vendors for almost anything EXCEPT LED equipment.

A second hand Fresnel, or dimmer rack say, should be almost as good as a new one and can be excellent value.

With LEDs though, the technology is improving so rapidly that a used unit a year or two old may be inferior to new ones, also heat and long hour use degrades LEDs and the degree of this is unkown with used equipment.

Also if you buy 6 secondhand units and then find that you need 8, the vendor may not have any more used ones, and new ones may not match.

The one other "issue" that I have is that the bottom of the dimmer curve introduces a slight delay when fading - this avoids the snap off at ~5% that happened with earlier LED fixtures but means that I can't achieve a SNAP blackout.

There is a setting in the menu that makes that pointless feature go away! I cant remember off the top of my head what it is but mine now fade all the way to 0%. Have a play in the menu!

Pete

Archived