We Will Rock You Laser Cage

DanSteely

Hi All,

Our next big production for Feb 14 is WWRY and a 'Laser Cage' is required and I'm considering the best way of producing it.

Limited funds are available for the but of course I need to make it stretch as far as possible on all the technical aspects of the show..

Reading some threads of the past on the subject I'm erring towards a profile with a 'laser' gobo. My available fixtures for this are:

Selecon Zoom Profile 650W (non Axial)

CCT Silhouette 1000W (a gobo holder would be required - can anyone tell me what size?)

The throw distance for this from the grid above the stage is 4M.

Or possibly a sub £100 laser. BTW. Our hazer is a DF50.

On the subject of lasers, I'd love to project from the back of the auditorium (Sch. Hall 40m in length) above the heads of the audience and hit a mirror in the grid that then projects the cone of beams. What kind of laser is used for this kind of throw and effect? I would guess this is way out of my budget but I'm still interested in the technology)

If I was to go the gobo route, which gobo would do the job (I'm thinking a circle of dots)

Any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

BTW: Hope everyone's enjoying the stonking weather...

Dan

A Strand Prelude, a home-made gobo and a mirror recycled from the local charity shop were used

. Spool through to 3:35.

It was much more effective on the evenings when the stage crew remembered to switch on the hazer.

The throw distance for this from the grid above the stage is 4M.

Time for you to do a drawing and some trigonometry. But to get you started...

You won't get a 'cage' if you only use a single unit, more a 'cone'.

Let's assume you need it about 2m diameter at shoulder height (1.5m) so that the actor has a bit of space to move. So that's 2m diameter with a 2.5m throw. Which means you need a unit with a 45 degree lens in it.

Now over to you. Look up what beam angles the units you've got have and work out if they will give the effect you want at that throw distance.

Hi Guys and thanks for the quick responses.

I shall do some measurements and report back on angles and throws.

Thanks Jonathan for the gobo holder sizes..

From your experiences, which of these two fixtures will give us more output? (assuming similar beam angles/throws)

Thanks again..

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/Charlie18061/FE5376C7-4B5B-42B2-82A2-863771849255-7905-000003FBF6F2F780.jpg

I created that effect with 12 cheap Chinese lasers; a 2m circle of MDF with some holes drilled in it, and a homemade 12 channel DMX power pack (so as to avoid them running on batteries). The entire device cost roughly £100 :)

As I'm replying from my phone I apologise if the picture didn't show, however clicking on the link should still work

A Strand Prelude, a home-made gobo and a mirror recycled from the local charity shop were used

. Spool through to 3:35.

It was much more effective on the evenings when the stage crew remembered to switch on the hazer.

Why should the stage crew switch it on, it's LX kit!

We had great success when we did WWRY with pinspots built into the floor - had the added bonus of enough spilled light to uplight the prisoners beautifully.

If your going down the profile / gobo route, I would either use your Selecon or hire / borrow a Source with a wide angle tube.

The Silhouette and certainly a prelude wouldn't have enough punch.

Last time I did WWRY, I was using HES Technobeams which very helpfully had lasers on them as well!

I rather like the idea of lots of cheap 'toy' lasers. If you could form a circle with dozens of them, you'd have a pretty good tube of light. The thing with the real one was it was BRIGHT. Pinspots would work, I think, but it would look like lights, not a tube of light.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived