Which Generator to buy ?

djmatthill

* This is a standby generator and not built to be used for business or continuous use, if you do then we will not take any responsibility.

In other words a complete load of rubbish and a waste of time and money.

A reliable adequate generator is not available anywhere near the budget. Times the budget by 4 or rent. Quality costs money.

It may well be a standby generatoron on a budget but would you trust something with no warranty and a warning about actually using it to start up first Tim when you actually need it too. If the application is worthy of a standby generator is worthy of something that works. Should be illegal to sell rubbish.

To quote from that listing...

"This is a standby generator and not built to be used for business or continuous use, if you do then we will not take any responsibility."

The original post at the start of this thread sounded OK apart from the fact it didn't mention any lighting at all. Then it went horribly pear shaped when it was suggested that catering would also tap off it. Catering is best kept completely separate, and no matter how much power you give them they will just keep adding cooking equipment until it trips.

* This is a standby generator and not built to be used for business or continuous use, if you do then we will not take any responsibility.

In other words a complete load of rubbish and a waste of time and money.

A reliable adequate generator is not available anywhere near the budget. Times the budget by 4 or rent. Quality costs money.

It may well be a standby generatoron on a budget but would you trust something with no warranty and a warning about actually using it to start up first Tim when you actually need it too. If the application is worthy of a standby generator is worthy of something that works. Should be illegal to sell rubbish.

And, "standby only" or not, it's only 5kVA. Add up your needs for the amps and a tea urn then get depressed again.

Not looked at the smaller end of their range like that one, but there may be a similar looking continuous rated one. I know this is the case with the larger sizes.

The difference (certainly on the bigger ones) is that the "standby" one runs at 3000rpm to get peak power out of a smaller engine. The "continuous" ones have much bigger engines running at 1500rpm so much less strain on the engine.

I've got one of their super silent 17/20kva and I'm quite impressed with it for a budget machine. No way I could afford a british built one! The battery was crap but everything else has worked perfectly so far, it appears to be a copy of a perkins engine. The output lugs just inside a slot you can easily get fingers into is a bit dodgy though, had to cover that up!

I notice you're talking 17-20kVA again, not a baby 5kVA. I don't believe 5kVA is in any way practical for what the OP wants to power.

It was intended more as a comment on the brand of generator than that specific model.

I agree 5kva isn't enough, 17kva (only does 20kva @60hz) is probably OTT but that's the only one I've got personal experience of. It cost considerably more than 700 quid though! The same manufacturer (Kipor) does the full range so probably has something suitable.

Archived