projector brightness

Tigglet

I have been asked to project some film from the balcony of a sports hall onto the opposite wall. the distance is about 15 -20 m and there is no way to block out the windows that run all the way around the top of the sports hall. The natural light is great for sports but will play havoc with any projected image. I will be needing it to project during the day in a few weeks. How bright a projector will I need to hire without being overkill as the prices for the uber bright projectors are proportionally high?

Thanks in advance.

Tigglet

If its a bright room, then you might find treatment becomes more cost effective than hiring in the projectors bright enough to give a good image, especially if your going for a large image.

Exactly what size do you require the image to be?

If its a bright room, then you might find treatment becomes more cost effective than hiring in the projectors bright enough to give a good image, especially if your going for a large image.

Exactly what size do you require the image to be?

We are going to put carpet over the play area then seat up to 800 peoplew in it so the long side of the image needs to be in the region of 4 -5m

much as I could punt my wares out its possibly more sensible to offer practical advice...

your problem wont be with the projector, but as pete says above with the ambient light. you could hire a stacked pair of barco 40ks, but frankly youd get better results hiiring a cherry picker and masking out all the windows then using a fairly ordinary projector. Projection is all about the contrast ie how much the projection is brighter than the ambient light levels, and competing with daylight is basically impossible. If it was a one off, id consider a large projector shining on the North ? facing wall and praying for a cloudy day, but if its a few weeks, it makes sense to sort out the problem . There are many cheap and easy ways to apply a complete blackout to windows ie tinfoil, and the building will have been designed with a means of safely cleaning those windows so there will be a safe method of access, much as I make a living hiring projectors, id explore the blackout options first. It also makes for a much better film showing if its lights off , film on in the dark rather than straining to see in the light...

Agree with all of the above. It's all about contrast ratios, and if you can't get a reasonable blackout, you're in trouble! Remember, "Black" on your screen is going to be the colour of the screen with the projector turned off, which most people would regard as being pretty white!

A bright projector in a brightish room might give you something that's useable for text, or maybe even static pictures, but video will be a real challenge.

ANSI/INFOCOM make some recommendations in this area - for simple black and white text, a contrast ratio of 7:1 is the worst case figure. For static pictures, this rises to 15:1. But for proper video, the recommendation is to get a contrast ratio of at least 80:1, with 50:1 being regarded as the minimum acceptable standard.

Archived