Jester Noob

iya99

Just got a Jester 24/48

Out of the box...plugged into 3 Betapack3s (set to 001, 007, 013)

One Lamp in each of the 18 channels

Desk connected, and set as follows (as per default "out of the box" setting)

Preset Mode Page A 1-24, Page B 1-24

Flash Mode <OFF>

Fade: Snap

Fade Time: Manual

A Master: 10 (full), B Master 10

Memory & Grand Masters to Full

Raising Preset A faders 1-18 produced the following:

Lamps on 1-4 Dark (no output power from Betapack)

Lamps on 5 & 6 Full output (and variable depending on fader position)...working OK

Lamps on 7-12 Full output....working OK

Lamps on 13-16 Dark

Lamps on 17 & 18 Full output...working OK

If I set the Flash Mode to either <Solo> or <Flash> and press the channel flash buttons, every one of the 18 lamps will light.

I did a check on the DMX patching to check if it was 1:1

I did a desk reset (no difference)

What am I missing?

Iya

It might just be the Betapacks power wiring is incorrect. It "feels" just like two phases missing and the third connected.

You can alter addresses and patches, as Mac suggests, and the user guide on the website runs through this as well as power wiring requirements. I got it by Googling "Betapack 3" and it came straight up from the Valley of the Crows.

You also don't say whether the Jester is new - if it's a "previously enjoyed" purchase from a well known auction site, then it may be that it's faulty. Some of the sellers can plug power in and see things light up on the front panel "Oh yes - it's working perfectly...." but dont know enough to properly test the desk.

I'd be trying the manual control option on the Beta's to check they're driving OK - it could be a power connection problem but my gut feeling is that the desk is the root of the problem.

...If I set the Flash Mode to either <Solo> or <Flash> and press the channel flash buttons, every one of the 18 lamps will light.

Iya - please confirm that you mean that when you press the flash button for each channel the lantern on that channel comes on? If so, that means the Betapacks are responding to DMX for all 18 channels. Or did you mean something else? Peter

Yes, each corresponding lamp comes on, on a press of the flash button, so this confirms that the dimmers are OK (?)

The desk is brand new, as are the dimmers.

Its as if the desk isn't transmitting DMX001, 2, 3, 4, 13, 14, 15,or 16.

I haven't tried changing the DMX patching on the dimmers to see WHAT if anything the desk is sending out, prob takes ages to go through all 512 !!

Iya

Thanks to everyone for their interest and comments on this so far

...If I set the Flash Mode to either <Solo> or <Flash> and press the channel flash buttons, every one of the 18 lamps will light.

Iya - please confirm that you mean that when you press the flash button for each channel the lantern on that channel comes on? If so, that means the Betapacks are responding to DMX for all 18 channels. Or did you mean something else? Peter

As you are wanting a 1 to 1 patch you could just go into super user and reset the desk. That should clear anything like old patches and submasters that might be causeing your problems.

Yes, each corresponding lamp comes on, on a press of the flash button, so this confirms that the dimmers are OK (?)

Hi Iya - This does confirm that the 1-1 patching must be right and the dimmers are correctly addressed (and at least respond to full on). If putting any of the sliders to full doesn't do the same as the flash button then it must be the desk. I don't know about the internals of a Jester but it could simply be one or more ribbon cables between the surface and motherboard have become detached? As it is brand new I think this is the time to call Zero 88 and discuss the problem with them Telephone: +44 (0)1633 833101 Email: support@zero88.com they are usually very helpful. Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll give them a call

Iya

Hi Iya - This does confirm that the 1-1 patching must be right and the dimmers are correctly addressed (and at least respond to full on). If putting any of the sliders to full doesn't do the same as the flash button then it must be the desk. I don't know about the internals of a Jester but it could simply be one or more ribbon cables between the surface and motherboard have become detached? As it is brand new I think this is the time to call Zero 88 and discuss the problem with them Telephone: +44 (0)1633 833101 Email: support@zero88.com they are usually very helpful. Peter

Yup....confirmed...faulty desk. Problem on faders 1-4, 13-16, 25-28, etc

Going into Test mode, good faders show output on display from 00 to FF; faulty faders show random static values of 04, 07, 16, etc

Desk going back to supplier.

Have show in 2 weeks, with dress rehs. next week......hope can do immediate swap-out!!

Iya

Thats just what the tech guy at Zero88 initially thought it might be.

But (see entire thread) the behaviour ruled out faulty installation.

Guess I maybe got a "Friday afternoon" desk sorry Zero88!!!.....

Iya

It might just be the Betapacks power wiring is incorrect. It "feels" just like two phases missing and the third connected.

You can alter addresses and patches, as Mac suggests, and the user guide on the website runs through this as well as power wiring requirements. I got it by Googling "Betapack 3" and it came straight up from the Valley of the Crows.

It came from a local, well respected supplier, who I contacted today, and they are organising a rapid solution.

Thanks for your comment

Iya

PS I would NEVER buy anything like this from that (or any other) auction site!!

I'm guessing that the desk didn't come from a well known auction site but via one of Zero88's distributors instead? Have you taken it back to where you bought it from to see if you can get a replacement there?

Guess I maybe got a "Friday afternoon" desk sorry Zero88!!!.....

Doubtful, the factory closes on Friday afternoon ;-)

Glad we got to the bottom of it, sorry for the inconvenience - all Zero products go through two levels of testing, so we will investigate how this one managed to make it through!

Archived