Connect phone to mixer

IA76

Hi

I need a phone that will work on a normal BT line that will connect to the tape in of a mixer.

How can I do this?

Can you just clarify a little what you are trying to do? Is this for a 'phone-in' type set-up where someone local to you is speaking to someone else on the end of a phone (and is it for a recording or heard on a PA)or are you trying to simulate the sound of a phone call for an effect?

For this application the user sometimes have a guest who are not local deliver a motivational short lecture over the phone which is why the audio from the phone needs to be played over the PA system.

dbuckley, I will check that out.

The industry standard bit of kit to do this is a Sonifex TBU. The digital ones are better but more expensive. I would hire one to see if you like it before deciding whether to buy. Not cheap but the industry standard which should confirm that they are good. Hire starts at £60 per week plus delivery and VAT from Sonifex although you might find them cheaper locally.

A prospect TC20 or 22 and this one may be more cost effective than a long term hire of a full digital TBU:

http://www.broadcast...it/1433/product

http://www.prospecte...s.com/tc22.html

Both of those are self powered so no need for mains as they take their power from the phone line.

I have a TC20 and find it very useful as part of my coms kit.

For this application the user sometimes have a guest who are not local deliver a motivational short lecture over the phone which is why the audio from the phone needs to be played over the PA system.

I that case, it sounds like you do indeed need a telephone hybrid, also known as a telebalance unit or 'T.B.U.' The input of the unit will be 'line level' so will be able to be plugged into your mixer via a 'tape input' as you suggest. If your speaker needs to hear any local audio sources (e.g. questions from the audience) then you will need to feed the outgoing side of the TBU with what is known as a 'clean feed' or 'mix minus' signal. This is simply a feed feed of what they need to hear without their own audio signal. This can be derived by using a post-fade aux send from your desk. This outgoing signal can be 'polluted' by the pa, so careful setting of levels will help; sometimes a gate on the outgoing circuit will help as well.

This from Allen and Heath might do the job http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=&ProductId=XB10&SubCatId=

Radio-friendly tools include a telephone communication (telco) channel, mic channel ON switch sensing, stereo channel start/cue outputs for CD deck transport control and automatic muting of speaker outputs. A separate monitor mix can be created for operator and guest or presenter, and the operator can speak off-air to the studio or telephone callers using the ‘Talk’ feature.

It's a nice desk that one but it still needs an external TBU to connect to a phone line. Clean feed generation is built in, as with all broadcast-oriented desks so it's a little simpler to set up.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a clear out and have a canford reporters telephone that has a mixer and a tele balance unit built in if anyone is wanting to have an easy solution for using telephone lines for AV or stage.

It is battery or mains operated so can be used anywhere and even has the keypad built in.

more info here: http://www.canford.c...ces/ig/3178.pdf

Looking to get £250 for it inc UK delivery.

Archived