Chamsys Vs Avolites

arobinsonaudio

I would go for Chamsys. Purely because I get on with their software better than avo. That's entirely a personal decision though- you need to try them both and see which suits you better.

I'm biased too, but I found the avo system to just not work with my head. To be fair, I now realise my dislike was not the desk at all, but simply my reluctance to learn a new method.

I think the thing that really made me comfy with the chamsys was simply that people like Wol realised people were often a bit thick, so made their control try to understand the 'wrong' ways people would try to do things. So if they stabbed buttons in the wrong order, most times it would do the right thing! There are also very different ways to do the same thing with magicq, so your workflow can be kind of your own, with some users having theirs set up so differently that you see things they do that you never even knew!

No less a luminary than Mr Coker chooses to use Avolites Titan mobile. So you should get Avolites. That must be the right answer. Especially if you do drum and bass nights.

Hmmm...what's the frequency Kenneth? This is Radio Coker calling....

As it happens, my drum & bass employer has just bought a shiny Chamsys PC/wing system

I have a TM indeed, but the OP is asking about the T1 dongle - which is slightly different; I believe the T1 , for example, will not do MIDI..oddly important to me.

I also have the cheap Chamsys dongle which I use, mostly, for test purposes but which I commend to my students as a no brainer purchase....£10 for one universe of DMX strikes me as a bargain, even if it is time limited. I'm sure the full-featured Chamsys dongle is an excellent product. (That's a hint, Tony.....)

When Titan 7 is released, assuming it works on the T1, I shall almost certainly buy one.

My personal preference is for the Avolites system, but that's because I've been using them for years. I would commend you to try both products - downloading the software will cost you nothing.

Of course, to really make them work you need a £500 touch-screen PC, but that's another story......

KC

(I note that the OP is one of Simon's......a SLLET undergraduate should know better than to ask for one word answers.)

ChamSys

I Started with a PC wing and within no time at all had an MQ100. Now have 2 MQ100's, a Maxi Wing and an MQ60. Personally I find it to be flexible, reliable and affordable.

I have tried a Tiger touch but, for me, Titan isn't quite there yet. I would agree that the Avo hardware is better than the ChamSys but that's something ChamSys are working on just as Avo are working on Titan.

That said, neither of the two options you're talking about are what you would call ideal, both are really intended for potential purchasers to learn the software. Neither are that expensive so maybe get both (but as Wol suggested get the cheaper ChamSys dongle for £12). Once you've had the time to use both you can decide which is right for you.

On the subject of available hire stock, whilst it is true that there are a lot of rental companies that stock Avo, not all of them have the latest kit (it's no good being an expert on Titan if all you can get is a 7 year old Pearl 2004). PRG, Neg Earth, ColourSound, GLS & Siyan all stock ChamSys and will probably charge you a lot less than Barry's Disco rentals will for a 10 year old pearl.

Archived