Chamsys Vs Avolites

arobinsonaudio

You will get many on this forum singing about Chamsys but I like Avolites kit and no matter what people say try hire a Chamsys system most hire firms will only offer Avolites in the hire stock and is far cheaper. Chamsys is better as it can run on Linux systems so not tied to Microsoft but there also M-PC by Martin that free too if you have a window system. so if you buy a Enttec DMX USB Interface you can use it with both Chamsys and M-PC so is a better item to buy over the other kit.

You will get many on this forum singing about Chamsys but I like Avolites kit and no matter what people say try hire a Chamsys system most hire firms will only offer Avolites in the hire stock and is far cheaper. Chamsys is better as it can run on Linux systems so not tied to Microsoft but there also M-PC by Martin that free too if you have a window system. so if you buy a Enttec DMX USB Interface you can use it with both Chamsys and M-PC so is a better item to buy over the other kit.

Whilst I'm not going to get into the debate as to which desk is "better"- to be blunt I think it's a pretty daft question- I would have to call you out on the equally daft idea that most hire firms only offer Avo and not ChamSys desks. If you're suggesting that, then the second part of your supposition, that Avo desks are "far cheaper" doesn't make any sense at all anyway, but ignoring that, you can hire ChamSys desks and systems from almost as many lighting hire suppliers as you can hire Avo desks, in both the corporate and rock'n'roll worlds.

Both dongles simply allow you to use the desk manufacturer's software. Both manufacturer's systems have their advantages and disadvantages. It isn't a one word answer.

(Edited to add a couple more lines of opinion and to correct some "had a couple of drinks" typos).

no matter what people say try hire a Chamsys system most hire firms will only offer Avolites in the hire stock and is far cheaper.

you can hire ChamSys desks and systems from almost as many lighting hire suppliers as you can hire Avo desks, in both the corporate and rock'n'roll worlds.

Seconded - Chamsys systems are not at all difficult to hire, nor are they more expensive than the equivalent Avo offering. As to what's better, it's all a matter of preference and what you get along with. As you can download both bits of software for free, why don't you do that and have a play and see which interface you prefer? I personally do not at all like Titan for a whole variety of reasons, so I would be hesitant to recommend it. MagicQ is also my tool of choice for the vast majority of work that I do - be it theatre or live events - because I find it intuitive and quick to work with. I just get along with its interface and programming methodology.

There's no such thing as a one word answer with questions like these, it's all personal preference. It's also a bit dumb to write off suggestions for other productions at a similar price point which you may not be aware of, which may suit your needs better than either of the products you're considering, and you'll more than likely also put people off answering with the tone in your last post.

IF (you are a Chamsys owner or fancier)
  ANSWER = Chamsys
ELSIF (you are a Avolites owner or fancier)
  ANSWER = Avolites
ELSE
  ANSWER = "something witty and/or senseless"
ENDIF

No less a luminary than Mr Coker chooses to use Avolites Titan mobile. So you should get Avolites. That must be the right answer. Especially if you do drum and bass nights.

One word answer: MagicDMX

More helpful answer:

I'm the developer who wrote the firmware for it, so I'm a touch biased....

As most people are/should be saying - pick a software package first then choose your hardware to suit.

MagicQ you can try out with just the £12 dongle to start with to see if you like the software with an actual rig first. If you do like it, then you can get the MagicDMX full dongle if you have the requirement of running shows longer than 5 hours or need DMX input. If you're running shows shorter than 5 hours long, then you can actually just get away with the MagicDMX basic option instead.

Archived