Latex Seaweed

KineticCircus

You will find a price for latex in the Flints Hire and Supply catalogue, available online. Other suppliers to look at for a cost compaqrison would be arts supplies shops, I can think of one or two in London, but I expect there are suppliers more local to you in Glasgow. It's also possible to use copydex. Whether it is the best way of making seaweed, I can't say, it depends what you want it to do.

Allscot, Glasgow

http://www.allscotltd.co.uk/CASTING-and-MOULD-MAKING/MOULDING-RUBBERS/LATEX-RUBBER/p-111-96-442/

E2A

Latex is thinned with water and easily coloured with water based paint when its wet, thickeners are used when brushing it on for moulding purposes and makes it lose elasticity.

Without taking a mould of real seaweed and casting from it , this seemed like good description:

To make the sea weed you spread latex over the cling film that is held on a wooden frame then place bits of thread and fabric onto it then splodge paint ontop. You can be quite inventive with it and use anything you want to.

Great, thanks folks. I was thinking of spreading it on a muslin type material in the hope it would integrate into the material, as it has to be really durable, and only be a suggestion of seaweed, but this sounds like the cling film type idea.

Cling film, polythene, just about any plastic, just provides a peelable surface, latex wont stick to it.

Thick layers could take a few days to dry , thin layers minutes with a warm draught over them.

May need to thin it a bit with water to allow it to soak into muslin.

As seaweed it has lot of stretch, muslin/fabric/string/wire reinforcements will alter the stretch and apparent `floatiness`

Latex itself is pretty durable, moulds for concrete are made from latex as it has much better abrasion resistance than silicone rubber.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen PVC strip curtains used for a good "walk through" seaweed effect. Cut the edges up a bit and make the lengths more random. Make smaller bits from the offcuts. Then heat carefully (outdoors) with a heat gun, so that it just starts to bend & crinkle up a bit. Paint if required, though green lights may be better.

Archived