Mac250 lamp issue

tonetski

Hi guys, my mac250 lamp doesn't lamp on, I did manual lamp on and I only hear click but lamp doesn't strike on. Hope to get answers or point me to recent or past topics about this issue. good day folks

always start with the easiest and cheapest component first ie: the lamp, quick swop will show if this is at fault, next swop an ignitor with another known working unit, I have in the past just run 3 wires and a connector block between two units. this will eliminate the ignitor, next the wiring loom needs metering between components, last the choke, but this is extremely unlikely as all it is is a coil on a laminate former, although I have had a few connector issues with these on 150 watt units. but connector issues are very evident , ie: burnt parts and smell of burning.

I tried 2 new lamps and still no strike, but the relay does clicking sound...

The suggestion is the op only has one unit so swapping may be a problem. To me it does sound like a lamp. I am in Herts so if he want to try swapping get in touch!

I use 2 brand new lamps and still no strike, but I hear clicking sound fron the relay or ignitor...

The suggestion is the op only has one unit so swapping may be a problem. To me it does sound like a lamp. I am in Herts so if he want to try swapping get in touch!

If you've tried lamps then it's a reasonably good chance that it's the igniter. One way to check if you are competent with a multi meter is to meter between the live feed to the igniter and the neutral. In the UK you would expect to see around 240v but as your state side it would depend on your local voltage.

A very big word of caution though is to ensure that you get the right terminals on the igniter, you want to be metering between the live feed from the ballast and the neutral, do not go anywhere near the output of the igniter that goes to the lamp as if the igniter is working there will be very high voltage present on this terminal. Get it wrong and at best you'll blow up your meter, at worst you could very seriously hurt yourself.

Archived