hiring a behringer x32 in the north west of england

S&L

the tittle says it all, I'm looking to hire at the end of next month (the one I have access to is out elsewhere). I have a price of £80 a week from light the way but now can't get a response on the phone to book. I'm sure it's just someone fogetting to take the phone off divert and I will try again but it would be useful to know if there is anyone else around that could and would dry hire an x32 in the north west.

A&P were supposed to be getting some in (according to rumour) but say they dont have any available for dry hire

wigwam don't stock them

any other suggestions?

Is £80 per week the going rate for an X32 ? Seems rather cheap to me. We were looking at putting one into our own fleet but if that's the market rate we might think again...

** laughs out loud ** - if this is the case no wonder the state of the audio hire market is falling completely over............

Is £80 per week the going rate for an X32 ? Seems rather cheap to me. We were looking at putting one into our own fleet but if that's the market rate we might think again...

Something like 25 weeks hire before it's paid for itself. Hmmmmm.

Something like 25 weeks hire before it's paid for itself. Hmmmmm.

If you are talking about just the surface, I would say that's pretty close to the correct rate for an item of sound equipment of that value. I would probably work out a base rate at 20 weeks and go from there. Once the market has established the going rate for a particular item you could take an average on that, but it may take a little while for that to emerge.

it looks as if I have un-intentionally caused a debate about dry hire costs.

in common with lots of other guys like myself, most of my hire requirements are over a weekend, for one or two shows - and my experience says that most gear falls in that category of 5% of cost for a weekend use.

But I AM finding some figures far better than 5%. I mentioned using Martin le1200s monitors in another thread today. cost price to me for the weekend was £9, which represents less than 1% of purchase price. to be honest I thought 5% was the standard for any non vehicle hire. for another job I have been quoted £110 for a 6 box hk actor system - which is around 2% of cost.

with a lifetime of hiring gear in other industries, 5% is the most I have seen charged on average, with 20 uses pays for it, being the general maxim. - heavy plant and vehicles tend to work on tighter margins though. it surprises me therefore that £80 for an x32 would raise so much debate.

separately, I have been in touch with Indivisual - because we come from completely different worlds, it had never occurred to me to try someone like indivisual. since they are literally just down the road from me and within a stones throw of the show it makes perfect sense to place the order with them and we have come to an agreement on charge rate that we are both happy with. I was stunned by the speed of the reply and chuffed to be able to sort the job on the phone this afternoon - another tick on my to do list. based on service so far, I will certainly be using them again.

I would probably work out a base rate at 20 weeks and go from there.

That's what I've always believed the opening "going rate" to be. If its more fragile then I expect to pay more.

So the *Stage Electrics* undiscounted rate for an M7CL-48 is £600+vat a week. List price that is a £26K inc vat desk, thomann price it's a £16K inc vat desk. So that's around 22 weeks of hire for it pay for itself possibly a bit less if they can get such things at a slightly better price than thomann can.

Thomann price for an X32 is £2157 so I'd be expecting to pay around £100 a week to hire one.

So the *Stage Electrics* undiscounted rate for an M7CL-48 is £600+vat a week. List price that is a £26K inc vat desk, thomann price it's a £16K inc vat desk. So that's around 22 weeks of hire for it pay for itself possibly a bit less if they can get such things at a slightly better price than thomann can.

Thomann price for an X32 is £2157 so I'd be expecting to pay around £100 a week to hire one.

It's always interesting looking at rates - I approach pricing from the AV side of things where the returns on investment are infinitely better than, say audio or lighting. However, I do sometimes wonder if some companies have really got their sums right before setting their rental rates (and I include ourselves on that one on the odd occasion).

Do remember when comparing hire rates across different strands of the industry that there are different business models. Short hire with high back up and a lot of last minute changes are labour intensive and therefore more expensive to service. There is a lot more than the base cost of the mixer to consider. The rate for a 6 month theatre tour will be wildly different to that for a 2 day hire. A large supplier has different overheads to those of a one man band. It's not that simple.

• 1 month later...
just a post-hire note. I took the desk back to Indivisual Monday last week (I got finished earlier than anticipated) - Jonathan and his team (ferretwrangler on blue room) were incredibly helpful and accommodating. chalk one up for the blue room again.

Archived