Grease in moving lights

Brownlingii

What lubricating grease can I use on the moving parts inside a moving light (Vl2000)?

Are there different greases for different parts ie: gobo wheel or zoom systems?

While I'm here- does anyone know the product name of the can of cleaning fluid you can use on the inside of a moving light - the non flammable etc kind!!??

Thanks!!!

I sometimes use some standard general purpose grease on the worm drive and guide rails for the focus/zoom which seems fine - it doesn't get all that hot there. I've never bothered with the rotating gobo but, as with the lens barrel, it's a long way from the lamp and I wouldn't worry too much about using anything special. None of the other parts should need anything.

Can't help with cleaning fluid. Maybe the larger hire companies have some magic fluids but I've always used IPA to clean all the optical parts and a paint brush to remove dust from fans etc. If they have drunk loads of mineral oil then hot soapy water works.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not always what grease you use, but WHERE and how much. A friend used to be a Hassleblad repairer and he applied several lubricants in selected places with a fine needle on a hypodermic syringe. 10mi of lube may last a lifetime. Put lube where needed and nowhere else.

Archived