Tecpro wiring

Just a quick question. I'm in the process of re-wiring our installed cans cabling. We want to add a few more points around stage, and just to generally tidy it all up. One thing I'm not sure of is if the cabling needs to be run in a loop from the master station and back again, or if it can simply be run from the master station to each belt pack? It does say 'ring' above the XLRs on the master station, and there are two sockets per channel which for some reason are the same gender. So do I need to run a loop of cable, or can I just wire it all up as one or two runs from one channel on the master station?

Thanks

The term 'ring' is a bit of a misnomer; it most definitely doesn't need to be one. There is an advantage to wiring it as a ring (volts drop) but it'll work just fine as a set of branches or star or any other setup.

The one golden rule is 'never connect the screen to anything, anywhere' ie keep the screen isolated from ground at all points.

Thank you for the information. We've actually got a Webblex master station, not a Tecpro system. We used have a mix of Webblex, Tecpro, and ASL belt packs and outstations, though we've recently invested in a new set of Granite packs and headsets.

One more question: Is it okay to run several sets of packs in a Y configuration? Our system is currently wired up with two packs by the followspots on one run, the FOH and control room packs on anothe run, and flies and stage on another. All of these runs meet in a junction box on stage, and just one cable connects them to the master station. I'm currently re-wiring stage and flies to add more outlets, but will I need to wire it all such that there is just one run from pack to pack with no Y-splits anywhere?

...as all outlets and the master station never connect the screen to earth.

And that includes the actual chassis connector and even the XLR leads.

Never, ever, ever, be tempted to connect the shells to pin 1.

...never connect the screen to earth.

Of course, it can all go wrong when the comms get bunged down the multicore, as some multicores common the screens on pin 1...

#7 in a continuing series of things you really shouldn't send down a multicore but folks often do...

Archived