If you needed a better quality desk...

Simon Lewis

Oh dear. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for SSL desks, at least back in the analogue age. I wonder how they'll get on in the digital world.

(Not that I'm likely to buy a desk in that price range any time soon!)

We're looking for a new desk for the theatre but I suspect we won't be getting one of these..... £50 grand is more than lighting's pie in the sky wish list for the decade!

I guess it depends on the theatre and their needs. The main receiving house here in this city spent almost $150,000 on their Pro6 with all the trimmings--that's about a hundred thousand pounds at today's exchange rate.

I guess it depends on the theatre and their needs. The main receiving house here in this city spent almost $150,000 on their Pro6 with all the trimmings--that's about a hundred thousand pounds at today's exchange rate.

The thing that looks interesting about this console is that it does 192 channels and there's no market segmentation as there is with say DigiCos. If you want the channels you just need to buy the IO the DSP isn't limited in the desk. This puts it somewhere between a DigiCo SD7 and SD5 in channel count and probably end up cheaper than either of them.

Obviously remains to be seen if there is a decent offline for it and remote control solution which don't seem to be needed in the broadcast market that SSL's digital desks have been in so far who don't seem to have got past the 1 fader/knob per function thing yet. I mean I though desks with this many knobs

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/productImages/c200/c200_broadcast2_large.jpg

went out years ago :)

Archived