Insurance for hired equipment

simontaylor

Thanks, Ian, I am amazed that people say they cannot get "single event" insurance, the industry is based on single days and single events. I have never had a problem with insuring All Risks and in fact I can't remember a single EHO signing off a licence without proof of insurance.

It may be difficult for hiring companies to cover outside events but events organisers must have ELI and PLI so equipment cover is generally not that costly an "add-on". Murray Torrible, Doodsons and Robertson Taylor have all insured one-off events for me in the past which might mean I was a trusted client or that they are all equally bonkers but they have never refused cover.

Take heed of what Ian (McIvy) writes, he knows stuff. Hopefully none of you meet him on business because if you do something has gone terribly wrong, other than that I am sure he is a lovely feller. Search the BR for "insurance" threads for a full list of "The Usual Suspects" we have listed them all many times.

A couple of the bigger AV companies I've worked for add 5% to the equipment part of their quote as an insurance premium which is deducted if the client takes the risk. As far as I know they underwrite the risk themselves because the premuim would be prohibitive. That is OK as long as you have respected clients and have a loss of less than 1 on 20 but it would be difficult for a smaller company with relatively unknown clients.

And your company is regulated by the financial services authority as you are selling insurance.

Dear Rigger,

Not 'MY' company Mate - just quotiong the practices of those I've freelanced for.

Thnks.

Archived