Exterior Par36 (pinspot) fixtures

marktownend

OK, so either my Googling is poor or these things take some hunting down, but I'd love to know of any weatherproof Par36 fixtures. They specifically need to take a normal par36 lamp rather than an LED unit, as they would primarily be used for illuminating architectural features and requiring the narrow beam angle.

I recently saw these Exterior Par36 whilst on holiday in Japan, but couldn't get to the back of the unit to see any details. They look like they'd be ideal for what we want.

Any ideas folks?

That does look more like an AR111 lamp than the typical pinspot lamp - searching for AR111 exterior produces quite a range of results. The AR111 family of lamps are available with beam angles and wattages comparable to "pinspots", so should still be useful to you.

Yes, the AR111 range of lamps was developed as a lower cost alternative to PAR 36 lamps mainly for indoor use as they are not a sealed beam unit.

AR111s are of course suitable for outdoor use in enclosed fixtures.

Most of them are 12 volt but there is a 6 volt 35 watt narrow beam version.

Historical note, PAR 36 lamps were originaly mainly used as headlights on tractors and similar machines and as landing lights on small aircraft, lower wattage versions also used in dry battery handlamps.

Widespread use for retail display lighting and entrertainment venue use came later, and it was realised that a weatherproof sealed beam lamp was OTT for such use, hence the AR111 range.

You little beauties!

I'd noticed the different lamp, but wasn't aware of AR111 being different from Par36, and I'm now getting better results Googling for AR111. Still not found exactly what I'm hunting, but I'm certainly on the right track now. Thanks.

And I have a feeling I may even have a box of old AR111 lamps somewhere in the workshop...

Archived