Aurora 12 lighting desk - 8Pin To 3 pin DMX converter or leads ?

James Gardner

Hello ,

I recently refitted my local school with a couple of friends with LED parcans , controlled by a computer. I know have there old lighting console and anytronics aurora 12.

I would like to use it at my school but the DMX pins are differenet. I would like tu buy a male 8pin DMX lead to a female 3 pin DMX lead. Or a conveter which will do the job.

Does anyone know where I can get these?

Thanks alott James

Aurora's are analouge desks so you'd need to buy a demux to convert analouge to DMX. I think you can get DMX cards installed in the desk but would not know how much that would be or if they are easy to install????

Best bet might be to get hold of something like a zero 88 level 6 and use that instead if only using a couple of LED pars

Just to confirm, if the DMX option is fitted then there should be a 5-pin DMX output socket - the 2 x 8-pin is only for analogue dimmers. You also need a power supply if using the DMX option if I remember correctly, but haven't used one of these for ages. If you only have 2 x 8-pin sockets then it is analogue only.

I've made your advert live James, but I think you're extremely optimistic about the value - 12 channels of budget dimming brand new, with 3 year guarantee £280. A DMX control - £140 =£420 for brand new. Anytronics wasn't a particularly sought after brand when it was new, so - realistically, it's not worth anything - maybe £50 for a bit of history?

...I think you're extremely optimistic about the value...

That's an understatement.

There was a nearly new Aurora 12 sold on eBay at the end of last year for, IIRC, £90. If the dimmers are analogue 192 series units these appear regularly and sell for around £50. There are some listed at the moment which have been listed a couple of times, and not sold, at £80.

192-channel DMX operators come up on ebay sometimes. They're intended for scanners, can be used to control dimmers. Technically, it's just serial data at RS485 level with a break at the start of each frame. 5-pin XLR connectors are strictly standard but many fixtures use 3-pin. The function of pins 4 and 5 isn't well defined anyway. You will also find 3-pole jack connectors and RJ11 connectors used. Also, some manufacturers swap the polarity of pins 2 and 3. You will probably get away without a terminator, but there should strictly be a 120 ohm resistor across pins 2 and3 of the last fixture.

Archived