Fatal incident at G Live in Guildford

kitlane

A man has died at G Live in Guidlford, Surrey today (9/2/13). From the little information available it sounds like an accident occured during the get-in or fit-up for a show.

Report here

I can't tell you significantly more than the article, but it is one of my local venues and I have friends that work there (all unharmed thank god). The loading door at G-Live opens upwards, and from what I can gather the mechanism for this failed during a get-in, causing the door to fall. My thoughts are with the the man's family and colleagues.

I had worked with the deceased and heard about this incident today from a friend. The deceased was a non-technical promoter type working with the band. Absolutely terrible news, no-one should die working a show and condolences to anyone affected. You see people doing some stupid things in the world of theatre and events, but then someone is killed through no fault of their own in what should be a safe area.

This is a really sad incident. We all know that theatres are an inherently risky and dangerous environment, and we do everything we can to mitigate the risk from the dangers that are ever-present on a working stage ... but sometimes I guess fate conspires to present a situation that no-one could've imagined or foreseen. It'll be interesting to see exactly what the findings of the H&SE reveal as being the cause of this incident.

I too await the investigation with baited breath, as my venue also has a Bifold door (which was serviced last week and found to be in perfect condition.)

Thoughts go with the family's of those involved, and to the close knit community of Port Issac

• 2 years later...

These documents are also of some interest....

Improvement Notice

Defence Infrastructure Organisation Safety Alert

From your second link

it is understood that the doors still have no anti-drop mechanism, nor is it possible for one to be retro-fitted for either Schweiss or Express Hi-Fold doors.

I don't know exactly what these doors look like, but surely all that's required is a big inertia reel that allows free movement at low speeds but locks solid when it drops???

Archived