Applications

Hi all,

I have recently sent a way my applications to The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, for BA Production technology and management and BA digital film and television.

I am curios to see what others have applied for and where.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a bit too old to be applying, but just wanted to say, my little brother is half way through his first year at the RCS (music - trombone in particular) and is absolutely loving it! He looked at several other places including Royal Northern, Royal Welsh and London, but is so incredibly happy in Glasgow. It seems to be a really friendly learning environment and his halls sound to be excellent. I'll be visiting in early March so I'll hopefully know more then. The theatres and performance spaces all look pretty beautiful too.

A casual but important reminder from someone who has an 'academic' degree but now works in theatrical projects-Really consider if this is what you want to do. If you decide to take a degree course specific in theatre arts then you are cornering yourself somewhat when it comes to finding a job. If you can find one in theatre then that is great, but if you can't, your ability to get a job in anything else is somewhat restricted because your degree demonstrates little abilty beyond the scope of the course. When I studied it was £3000 a year, but now it's £9000. So a 3 year course is £27000. But then it's also 3 years you're not earning - so if an entry level job is £15k salary, add the £45k you haven't earned and the total cost of doing Uni rather than work comes to £72,000!!!Personally id never pay that much money to be qualified in theatre because the pay is so low that you will spend half your life getting a return on your investment. Theatre is also not particularly well catered for in terms of the number of jobs offered, so the chances of you returning your investment from a related job are somewhat reduced too. Traditionally, entry point in theatre is also at the bottom of the ladder, so you may find that your degree does not become relevant until later anyway. I'm not here to lecture but I'd really consider studying engineering if you can hack it, or maths, or physics. With one of these degrees you could land a very nice theatrical job, but on good money, and you also leave the door wide open to work in many many other areas of industry if theatre doesn't work out. I think you'll find that even many theatrical companies would be far more impressed by an engineering degree than a theatre degree, never mind non-theatrical companies. I have a research based, 'academic' degree from a good red brick university and despite having been working in this job for 4-5 now years it is nice knowing I am young enough and hold a versatile enough qualification that I could change direction drastically and still hold a qualification with good potential to get me through the door of that industry too. I am not saying theatre is bad in this post, I'm just saying, it's not a business I'd invest 72 grand into working in. People work theatre because they love it, not because they want to get rich out of it!

As MT profile says I'm 24 but I completed my degree in 2010. I am glad you are getting work, are you making enough Money to live comfortably?I dint know how the scene in NZ but in the UK there are substantially less technical theatre jobs than there are graduates from the courses so many will need to find alternative employment. And if you do have to find other employment, ths us where you'll find the lack of use of a technica theatre degree, where a broader degree might not be directly relevant but may at least have some relatable subjectsm or just demonstrate a skill set. For instance I would say a history graduate should have grasped good research and study skills better than a music tech graduate.

Man that's hard to read, are you typing on a phone? :P

Your profile doesn't have any info that I can see about an age, that's interesting. Of my classmates, already there are a number in non-industry part time jobs, and one or two that dropped out to do something else entirely. The work comes and goes, obviously it's festival season here right now being summer, but corporate will pick up soon.

I'm currently exploring various full time options with corporate AV companies over here, still waiting to see where we go with that.

Archived