I'm working sound for a high school production of Cabaret with a first-time props manager, and am attempting to help her out a bit. There's a scene where Sally cracks an egg into a glass, adds worcestershire sauce, and drinks the concoction. Does anyone have a recipe for a good raw egg substitute? I was thinking of possibly emptying the egg shells and then filling them with something else, but I can't seem to imagine how to put an yolk-type substance back in.

We open Friday, so the sooner anyone could get back to me, the better.

P.S. The phrase "high school production of Cabaret" might seem strange, and it is, but we have a rather insane theatrical director. I'm not sure if he has yet told the school's administrative staff what the play is comprised of...

What about blowing the contents of the egg out, then use a 20ml syringe & hypodermic needle to insert a vicous liquid ?dyed glycerine? back in.

On the other hand what is the real risk of food-borne disease from fresh, good quality, lion-marked (& hence from salmonella-vaccinated hens) eggs? The answer is surprisingly low...

May I suggest that instead of wasting time with the eggs themselves , why dont you place a false "lip" inside the rim of the drinking vessel that will stop any substances from being consumed when the actor tips the vessel backwards, im sure they'll be able to act that.

I have used this devise before without any worries

I'm working sound for a high school production of Cabaret with a first-time props manager, and am attempting to help her out a bit. There's a scene where Sally cracks an egg into a glass, adds worcestershire sauce, and drinks the concoction. Does anyone have a recipe for a good raw egg substitute? I was thinking of possibly emptying the egg shells and then filling them with something else, but I can't seem to imagine how to put an yolk-type substance back in.

We open Friday, so the sooner anyone could get back to me, the better.

P.S. The phrase "high school production of Cabaret" might seem strange, and it is, but we have a rather insane theatrical director. I'm not sure if he has yet told the school's administrative staff what the play is comprised of...

The concotion in question - the "Prairie Oyster" is basically tomato juice, Worcester Sauce and a raw egg. The idea is that the egg is not mixed or "broken" once it is cracked into the glass and that the yolk is swallowed whole - without the shell, of course!

It may be possible to prepare these without the egg whites, but apart from pinching one's nose and swallowing it, I can't think of anything for substitution for a yolk, beyond a dollop of cold custard - which would probably taste far worse with the tomato juice than a raw egg yolk. The actress who devoured these when we did "I Am a Camera," the play on which "Cabaret" is based, didn't really taste the egg if she prepared and drank it properly, since the tomato juice has a strong and distinctive flavour of its own. She might just have to look upon it as a stern test of acting ability and, if she acquires a taste for them, its an impressively revolting party trick!

I would go with the option of using a real egg, and then faking the drinking of it, like already has been mentioned, try making a lip on the glass.

When she goes to down the substance hold the glass in a way that conceals the substance so the audience dont see if she has drunk it or not. Make sure there is something on the table, so as she places the glass down, she can place it behind somthing, again it will conceal the glass from the audience.

vince :(

Archived