Harman buys Martin Pro

fireball40k

Rather depends on their profitability and liabilities - well known good makes often have very little in real assets. In Norwich, a while back, Anglia TVs big studio, recently refitted to HD was sold for less than the price of a zoom lens on one of the cameras! Sounds a bargain - but was a huge millstone around their neck by all accounts.

The article cites $150m turnover in 2011. I would guess on that level they would have made maybe $10m profit. I have no idea, but the valuation of a business is normally on ratio of profit potential times say ten years. On that basis and assuming they are not debt free the amount paid could actually be on the generous side!

In the past, there wasn't that much choice in the marketplace, and Martin could get away with charging a premium price. Nowadays, with the lower prices, and, it has to be said, increasing quality of kit made in the far east, I suspect they've been facing a declining market share for a while now.

In the past, there wasn't that much choice in the marketplace, and Martin could get away with charging a premium price. Nowadays, with the lower prices, and, it has to be said, increasing quality of kit made in the far east, I suspect they've been facing a declining market share for a while now.

True to a certain extent but let's not forget that "in the past" Martin were instrumental in breaking down the barriers to ownership in the moving head market which up until that point was dominated by a few complex and highly bespoke players that really were "premium". After that every little outfit in the game owned some of those "robotic" lights and larger shows were filled (often stuffed) with ever more nodding buckets.

What seems "premium" in the more modern days of Robe and latterly the far eastern offerings was actually a pretty good deal not all that long ago. Martin continue to innovate and produce good quality, sought after kit but yes, competition is stronger than ever. Let's at least give Martin the credit for being a major in playing kicking off that competitive market. Not an easy one, that's for sure.

Archived