LED discharge

the kid

Curious? if you stick them on a PAT machine, will they pass? If they do, then it's fair to say any company who come in to test would ok them?

I'd be surprised if any of the PAT machines out there do a residual charge test after the IR test. This sort if test is more of a type approval test.

Dave

I hate this sort of slapdash design. Someone might well be up a ladder when they get a shock (given that it's a parcan) and unbalancing and falling off that might well be serious even if the shock isn't. It will be the filter caps charged and might be more or less depending on where in the cycle it's unplugged..ie random. A bleed resistor will do the job.

Optikinetics/Anytronics strobes anyone?

Quite..though that was due to the huge capacitive dropper rather than a filter. They needed a more considered approach....a large wirewound resistor to discharge those!!! The later Anytronics strobes used an auto discharge circuit using a relay but that's another topic.

• 5 months later...
Just an update CPC have stopped selling the item, nice to be told when I have been waiting to a "test" replacement. I see they are selling other similar items so I will have to grab one or 2 of those to try out.

Archived