Compressor repair

Matt Riley

Hi guys,

So I've got a couple of old comps on the bench in need of some pots and I wondered whether any of you guys might be able to help me source the correct replacements (at minimal cost!)

First one - Drawmer 221 with a broken threshold pot! So all I need to sort out on this one is the appropriate replacement pot (I've got the knob for it!) The pot appears to be a 16mm one with approx a 4mm slightly squared off shaft marked 22K B - so I presume its a 22k ohm linear pot?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk277/mattril87/photo1.jpg

Second one - a DBX 266

So a whole load of pots required here as well. There are 3 marked B50 K (50k lin?), One marked C5k (5k log?), one marked A50k (50k ohm log?) and one marked 20K A (20k ohm log?). Same size as the drawmer one but with a different shaft diameter of approx 6mm.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk277/mattril87/photo4.jpg

So yeah , if anyone's done these fixes before and found the appropriate CPC numbers then it would be awesome if you could share them- if not I'll get onto the CPC website and keep you posted on what I find.

M

Potentiometers for items of gear are often a problem to obtain - the Drawmer items are British made OMEG types - these are probably best obtained from Drawmer, who should be pleased to help. Their shafts are usually 'D' shaped and 4mm in diameter.

The dbx types are normal 'commercial' type pots - but the types normally found in the usual catalogues usually have splined shafts (Rapid Electronics have a selection available). 'D' shaped 6mm shafts are not as common.

Bearing in mind the different PCB pin configurations, shaft diameter, type and length - I have usually found it best to always try and obtain spares from the manufacturer or distributor - if they are still around.

If not - then usually a substitute can be found - but some engineering is often required to make them fit......

First picture... Single sided board with phat trax = totally repairable and probably designed by someone with pedigree. Looks like fairly standard components, and with some desoldering braid (copper braid impregnated with flux) to mop up the solder from the pads, I'd say that looks like a fairly easy repair, even to someone just starting with soldering.

I'm not sure the letters A, B, C represent log, lin, and ...? But I'm sure to have the right "configuration" (if you can say that about a pot) is very important.

On the other hand, it might be worthwhile to consider saving the old pots, depending what's wrong with them. If they are not broken, just a bit scratchy, a drop of K60 may help.

Just a thought.

Norbert

I'm not sure the letters A, B, C represent log, lin, and ...? But I'm sure to have the right "configuration" (if you can say that about a pot) is very important.

Usually level controls are log, whereas pan pots and "tone" controls such as on parametric eq are linear, but there can be exceptions.

I'm not sure the letters A, B, C represent log, lin, and .

yep they do,c is often antilog

Although I have come across one manufacturer in the past (was it Alpha??? might well not be!) whose 'A' pots are lin and 'B' pots are log

Dave

Hi guys,

Just to let you know my progress sourcing the bits - the Drawmer one, like John predicted was very easy, costing about £4 and despatched pretty quickly.

The DBX one was a bit more involved. I was put in contact with EMS (www.electronicmusicservices.co.uk/contact.htm) as DBX don't deal direct with the little people like me. Their prices were a bit steep (£11.50 per pot!) so I found a nice chap on ebay (Henry Walmsley, Southampton) who would sell me the rest of the bits for under a tenner and only purchased the Alpha c5k detented ratio pot from EMS.

Now lets hope it all arrives and fits together nicely!

M

Archived