MagicQ cuestack question

simonp

Hi there,

I'm looking to do something in MagicQ I'm 99% sure Grum had working on his console when I used his busk page...

A cuestack where each step contains a shape (fader controls speed), so I can cycle through the cuelist with the Go button to find the step I want to launch, and then raise the fader to start playback. This works, but without raising the fader the heads move to the starting point of each shape with the Go button. Is there any way for the Go and Back buttons to just cycle through a stack, with the cuestack only activating when I raise the fader?

Thanks very much,

Simon

I'm not sure that the Go / Back ever really just steps, in my experience, it always goes through the list although there are plenty of Options when it comes to MQ cuelist controls as I'm sure you know.

Assuming your using the fader to control FX speed, the fader at 0 = 0 speed (so no effect) whatever cue you are parked up on. I generally don't record any position data in my FX shapes for busking so they can centre or start wherever the fixtures are at the time: Up, Out, Cross, Fan or whatever. With no position data, the FX just Goes with 0 speed and nothing appears to happen until you push the fader up.

In effect, what you are asking but with the requirement to not record positional data with each cue. What happens when you push up and pull down the fader also depends on how you have Fader Activates Stack and Fader Releases Stack set, along with what else you have running at the time.

Just to make clear, the content of the cue is just FX, no positional data at all.

With no position data, the FX just Goes with 0 speed and nothing appears to happen until you push the fader up.

Exactly, that's what I'd like to happen, but with the fader down, cycling through the cuestack activates it, and the heads seem to snap into the first position of 'circle' etc (with the position they reach being governed by the size of the shape) and then obviously stop since the fader is at 0. What I'd like is for them to not leave their static position until the fader is raised. I have a feeling that keeping that stack selected would let me do what I want with the master playback, but if I've got a shape stack, a look stack etc all for busking that could get quite fiddly.

If it can't be done then I'll just live with it, but I'm sure I've seen this working...

Thanks

I've had another look at this today to see how I'd run it so that it behaves in a nice show-like manner. Here is where I've got to:

* Using Go always activates the FX cue stack, whatever settings I use. However, using Pause/Stop cycles backwards without activating the cue stack meaning I can park up on the shape I want to come in without it starting right then.

* The step forward / step back buttons on the master Go section also cycle without activating the Selected cue stack so you can line up the effect. As you suggested, possibly fiddly if you keen changing the selected stack.

* Each effect clunks to it's "start" point whatever, it seems. To counter this when you raise the fader (activate) I set a fade time of a few seconds for each FX cue in the stack.

* The fader is set to also release the stack, as is default in Normal mode. In order to do this prettily, I set a Release Time of 1 or 2 secs to stop the effect crashing back out into the previous position.

Using this knowledge you can do pretty much what you want including using the fader for FX speed (or set up another FX master which means you could do both). Just remember not to Go forward to select your next FX cue OR use the Step buttons instead. I'd be interested to hear Grum's set-up if he pops by sometime.

Another solution which I prefer is to have fader controls size rather than speed then I adjust speed (having previously set speeds to suit the tempo of what ever I'm busking to that night) using S button and X encoder. This way when you activate the stack there is no jump in movement and you can gently fade the movement in.

Another solution which I prefer is to have fader controls size rather than speed then I adjust speed (having previously set speeds to suit the tempo of what ever I'm busking to that night) using S button and X encoder. This way when you activate the stack there is no jump in movement and you can gently fade the movement in.

Seem to remember that was my solution on the old Pearls as the Shape always crashed in and back out if you weren't careful. From memory, using Mode 2 for Size avoided that and instead I had distinct playbacks for Fast / Slow effects stacked up on top of each other on the roller. One could do similar with Fast / Slow pages I guess although the FX fade in time and Release times make the problem less obvious unless you use a 5 second fade in or out of a Fast movement or a 1 sec into a Slow one.

Having said all that I'm still a big fan of Speed On Fader including using FX Masters on the MagicQ. You could have an overall Speed master, then use Size on fader.

Archived