Herring cast

TAFFY

I need to make some fairly realistick herring, I was thinking of making a mould then casting. I have researched casting fish but not too sure of the best way to do it, do I need to dry the fish first? Or just push one halfe into clay then cover with latex (or alginate or even plaster of paris) I was going cast in soft foam.

Any help would be apriciated even a source of fake fish that may pass as herring.

Or a completely different way of doing things!

Thank you

Jon.

"Noises Off"?

Seriously, as long as you have the right sort of size and colour, NOONE is going to notice that your fake fish is anything but what the cast SAY it is.

But you could try Props4Shows...

Or some of the same, maybe some different ones, at Terralec...

Both found with a quick Google.

The trout with a bit of tweaking are the best match to Herring - Lowestoft used to be the centre of the Herring World - until we flogged off the trawlers, and I doubt anybody under 40 would even recognise one!

Sorry to correct you Paul, but herring were caught by drifter' (and a lot smoked just up the road in GY). You are right that Low'stoft was the trawler capital but they caught fish near the bottom, so cod, plaice, turbot, whiting etc.

How do I know? My big bruvver was a trawler skipper at LT for many years before it all went with the EC CFP. :(

Quite right, of course. The Lydia Eva - from Yarmouth is in the harbour down the road being scrubbed up - arrived the other day.

http://eastcoastnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/100_1288.jpg

So people know what we mean - and being pedantic, if we're talking drifters - then the correct pronunciation of the word is "Heron", as in "we got a fu cran of heron, boy" Outsiders must have wondered why boatd were cathing birds!

http://www.suffolkheritagedirect.org.uk/imgs/tours/herring-fleet.jpg

I do know any right sized/colour fish will do like the ones pointed out, I had allready done a props4shows search and found some. I just fancied casting some, and making a load of red ones just for the Halibut.

You would be surprised what you can catch from portmeirion crabs o instance.

Grate pictures Paul! Shame our harbours no longer look like that! I'd love to have seen Porthmadog harbour when it was full of proper ships!

talking of sellafield maybe trawsfynydd lake will have some appropriate fish in...

I apologies or any grammatical mistakes or wrong words as this machines likes changing words and I can't stop it.

Also I was thinking today it would be un if I could make the tils move in a bucket.....

Oh for cods sake! I'm getting a haddock from the fishy puns! :)

All puns are welcome please don't be shellfish, the world is your oyster!

Also any casting tips would be very much apriciated.

Our Production Manager has a task scheduled to pick up the fish today.

And tomorrow.

And the day after.

You get the idea.

The neighborhood cats are going to love us :)

So just what is this suspension of disbelief stuff...?

Oh for cods sake! I'm getting a haddock from the fishy puns! :)

All puns are welcome please don't be shellfish, the world is your oyster!

Also any casting tips would be very much apriciated.

Kipper't a secret Weel you!!

I dunno, carping on about this makes me shake so much I nearly fell off my perch.

Archived