Cobbled Floor - Any Clever Suggestions?

gregog

Morning All,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I make make a cobbled stone effect on stage? I am intending on laying 6mm MDF boards on the stage, so can paint, attach and abuse to my hearts content.

It would be nice to be able to create a floor that looks textured as opposed to just being painted on and wondered if any of you clever people have any good suggestions?

I did contemplait laying an 18mm ply floor and routing out cobbles and then painting with sponges and layers to create a nice effect - whilst I appreciate this would be incredibly time consuming it would give a good layered effect.

I have also considered vacuum forming wooden blocks to make some moulds that slot together and making mouldings out of plaster of paris or something similar - but then this would be even more time consuming but would look rather cool I think?! This way we could paint the ply floor a base colour and simply colour the plaster.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

gregog

Morning.

How does this look to you?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Piperset_2.jpg

Base coat of the 'mortar' colour, then 2 or 3 of the crew started uo stage with 3 of us at the front loading up a variety of different sized/shaped sponges with a variation of colours for the actual stones.

Worked a treat for us in panto.

I remember the RSC making a circular stone effect 'island' from individual rubber stones, all glued down to the subfloor. Looked great.

As for the RA, significantly more complex? It's an uneven floor - a potential trip hazard, needing cast and crew to be aware and deal with it - that's it isn't it?

The Avenue Q Touring floor was actually a Plybase with a MDF layer glued ontop and compressed for a few days.

Luckily the maching was automated on a nice routering table, however the floor was routed to put in cobbles, drains, man hole covers, curbs etc. The painted and shaded.

It looked really nice .Much better than a painted floor ever could, just by the fact it had real "depth" to it.

The risk assessments luckily for the PM were not really much harder as the cast were in flat shoes and any props on wheels were always handled by the cast.

So yes - all in all it was really nice.

You can achieve with paint a quick result but routing or applying a 3d finish will stand up to much closer scrutiny. I wouldn;t rout too deep though as the deeper you go the more chance of catching a heel or losing a pencil ;)

Morning.

How does this look to you?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Piperset_2.jpg

Base coat of the 'mortar' colour, then 2 or 3 of the crew started uo stage with 3 of us at the front loading up a variety of different sized/shaped sponges with a variation of colours for the actual stones.

Worked a treat for us in panto.

Nice effect! Do you have a close-up of the surface? Was it acrylic paint you used?

Nice effect! Do you have a close-up of the surface? Was it acrylic paint you used?

Thanks.

Sadly not - just had a scan through the general pics I took and nothing more detailed I'm afraid.

There's a video clip of one of the scenes which you can see the floor a little clearer.

It's in 2 parts as when I uploaded the limits were lower on Flootube. ;)

Really must upload the full thing in one, now the limit's higher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqjynuzuTvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECr2oadjP68

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I make make a cobbled stone effect on stage?

Not quite cobbles but we used a "stone tile" effect laminate flooring - the sort that just clicks together - to simulate the stone flags of a Victorian east end docklands back street for The Matchgirls and it worked really well.

Archived