Pantomime

Merkz

House music doesn't HAVE to be related to the show you're doing.

In fact I know a few noise boys who intentionally use tracks that are markedly different to the genre on stage, just to give the punters a bit of light and shade.

I would keep it clean, but play a mix of current/recent chart (I keep a playlist of the overall 2010 top 10 exactly for things like this) mixed with a few older pop and rock songs to please the older members of the audience. Could work to throw a couple of comedy songs (Always look on the bright side of life etc..) as it should be a fairly light hearted event

I would keep it clean

Could work to throw a couple of comedy songs (Always look on the bright side of life etc..)

I wouldn't include that last one, most versions include a swear! I second the idea of a mix of 'seasonal' tunes - adding being careful to avoid any that might be in your show and the usual "judge your audience" thing, a playlist for my local theatre might not be the same as one in the city for example.

E2A - Just looked at Gareth's link - seems to fit the bill perfectly!

For the panto I worked on several years running (before retiring to Aus) my brief was to be about as far from "fair tale" music as I could get. Instead they wanted a mix of pop Christmas classics (things like "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree") and kiddie pop top ten stuff current at the time of the production. The audiences tended to be at least 50% children and the goal was to get them all bopping in the aisles before the show started. This also involved a gradual level transition (from background to party) as we got closer to the show.

Archived