are you a premiership footballer or russian mafia member? then here&#3

WiLL

I love this quote -

Taken from their website

Putting the price into context – our opinion

On the face of it, our Silver SuperKords may look very expensive, but put the cost of them into context. Say you have a system with a £5,000 CD player in it, which you love the sound of. But what happens when the upgrade bug bites? You might find that to upgrade your sound, you might need to invest in a player costing upwards of £10,000. Now, in our opinion, upgrading your £5,000 CD player’s mains lead to a Silver SuperKord SD II will bring about an even bigger upgrade than upgrading your player to the next model… and it’s cheaper. In that context, surely the Silver SD II SuperKords offer extremely good value for money?

ha ha ha. I guess if I change the plug on a Grand MA1 its a bigger upgrade than changing to the Grand MA2!? Really?! Or does this only work in theory for CD players!

If you are the kind of person who has a £5k CD player in your system (Can you buy a CD at the £5k price point???) then how could you resist buying this lead or another as a back up?

(Request to BR readers:

If anyone here knows of a person who bought this lead could you refer them to me please? I have a herd of Unicorns that need a good home...and no that is not dried superglue around the base of the horn...that is just magic crystals...really.)

the worlds most over-priced iec lead

three grand for a kettle lead, I mean, why wouldn't you?

Outstanding I will buy one.

The question I ask is, do these people who buy these things ever question the cables used for recording the product they are listening to.

Some my be very good but.... ?

I worked with a colleague (not a sound engineer ) who was convinced the quality of his Hi Fi would be improved if he dispensed with the circuit breakers in his house, don't know if he went back to re-wirable fuses or bought some super dooper breaker. I asked him sometime after whether it had made an improvement, I don't think he got what he looking for.

Is it actually possible to manufacture a lead that retails for £3k+ ?? If you assume there isn't 1000's% mark up and it is a genuinely expensive cable, hand knitted by Grannys from pure gold strands or whatever....

In case you were thinking your kit has a 'normal' IEC rather than those odd flat affairs... here's the one you need: Normal IEC version although it is a 'hot' condition version.... audiophool kit must be chuffing inefficient to need the heavy duty IEC's :blink:

What about the other x amount of meters of cable that runs in your house/building? And is there a four way that goes with that if I also want to plug something else in?

No, no, no! You can't plug anything else in to same feed from the substation or it'll seriously compromise the performance of the CD player. Don't tell me you actually want to listen to it?!

No idea about mains leads, but the good folk at d&b UK did tell me once that they had experimented with speicalist speaker leads for a laugh. They'd been repeatedly approached by this chap who had what he assured them were the best speaker leads possible to design, which would, he promised, transform their audio experience. After giving him the brush-off for many months, they thought 'what the heck' and agreed to give it a go. They set up a demo - and were duly flabbergasted to discover that it did indeed make a substantial difference. Given that they were, to a man and woman, sceptical to start, I suspect that a placebo effect is unlikely...

What about the other x amount of meters of cable that runs in your house/building? And is there a four way that goes with that if I also want to plug something else in?

No problem - Russ can provide!

Installation mains cable (looks to be about 3mm2) a snip at only £65.50 per metre:

http://www.russandre...GXVVGRPNKBKTZKD

An "Upgraded" RCD for £156:

2 way adaptor only £173:

It looks like I will have to put together a business case to re-wire our theatre!

The blurb for that is hilarious:

If you know Russ's views about consumer units, you'll know that in the past he has advised customers to steer clear of Residual Current Device circuit breakers (RCDs) often fitted to them, as he felt that most of them compressed the dynamics. However, the new 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations now stipulate that they must be fitted in a new installation.

In light of this, Russ has recently tested a quantity of the most modern, up-to-date consumer units fitted with RCDs. He found that their performance is now comparable to the older units without RCDs - he assumes it's because the design has been changed to make RCDs even safer, with the benefit of sounding better in a Hi-Fi installation

The blurb for that is hilarious:

If you know Russ's views about consumer units, you'll know that in the past he has advised customers to steer clear of Residual Current Device circuit breakers (RCDs) often fitted to them, as he felt that most of them compressed the dynamics. However, the new 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations now stipulate that they must be fitted in a new installation.

In light of this, Russ has recently tested a quantity of the most modern, up-to-date consumer units fitted with RCDs. He found that their performance is now comparable to the older units without RCDs - he assumes it's because the design has been changed to make RCDs even safer, with the benefit of sounding better in a Hi-Fi installation

Translation: Damn, can't get round having these now, better invent some unmitigatable b**lshit that will allow me to include these in my over-priced snake oil range.

Yeah but, no but... :huh: What about rcbo's, rccd's and most of all the mcb?? :o no point fitting those fab rcd's if the mcb is 'standard'. Like putting a plastic dashboard in a Rolls-Royce :(

Archived