USB gooseneck light with blue LEDs

d.breeze

Hello

A while back I owned a couple of them handy little USB powered gooseneck lights, great for using a laptop in a dark environment, but I seem to have misplace them over the years. I want to get hold of some more but all the internet seems to offer is ones containing white LEDs. Now I have seen one (somewhere, sometime) containing blue LEDs and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people might know where one could purchase such a device?

Many thanks

Just because they exist, it doesn't mean its a good idea to use them. USB ports aren't really designed to supply lots of current, and in some cases you may crash your computer just by plugging in something that tries to draw too much. I once managed to crash a desktop computer by plugging a USB lava lamp into it (OK, it wasn't an actual lava lamp. It used glitter rather than a hot lamp and wax, but it made the control room look a little nicer). Some computers are better behaved than others. My Mac, for example, has USB ports on the keyboard but it shows an error message if I try and plug in something that needs a lot of current, such as my iPhone.

Or for me I circumnavigate any of those current issues by using a powered USB hub (My Laptop does not have enough USB ports anyway) so I can plug away up to about 1A of gear http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Bit of blue gel would be my preference, if I needed something neat then a resolder job.

Just came across these Mightybright doda's that the Muso'd have been using for thier music, they also make a mighty fine light for my script! http://www.mightybright.com/Music-Lights/Duet2-LED-Music-Light looks like they do a full range of little LED lights....

Thank you for the two useful contributions:

I was opping a chamsys desk earlier in the month and this had blue led goose necks. Maybe chamsys could supply you with some or inform you of their supplier?

Do you know the best person at Chamsys to contact? I'm a noisey boy so not all too familiar with the company.

Nice try! But I have been fooled by ebay listings many times already. The blue refers to the casing not the colour of the LEDs. Really can't find any on ebay that actually have blue LEDs.

To the other suggestions, yes funnily enough I have considered blue gel (that's the usual solution) but I wan't something neater and more permenant and yes I have considered resolding blue LEDs in the place of white ones but it makes a relatively cheap product much more of an expensive investment especially as I want a few of these and don't really have time to resolder that many LEDs. That is why I am looking to purchase a ready made, complete, USB powered blue LED gooseneck. If anyone on here has the time to solder that many LEDs and fancies buying up a few cheap white goosenecks and a batch of blue LEDs I would happily discuss some prices.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but of all places to look...

Poundland have a blue version in stock currently. I bought a couple a few months ago, and despite having a distinct, stylish, designer tacky plastic nature to them, they do the job rather well.

Are you sure the Poundland ones don't just have a blue casing and normal cold white LEDs? They do a USB gooseneck lamp with about 5 LEDs that is available with a selection of case colours. It is quite easy to change the LEDs in them though. (If you're handy with a soldering iron.) I modified a few for myself just for fun. If I recall correctly the chromed plastic bush where the gooseneck meets the light can be pulled back to allow the head assembly to slide apart.

You might consider these; granted not in "Rolls Royce" bracket but cheap and very versatile with two output levels...and can be moved to search the floor under the desk when you drop the script...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLSON-QUALITY-TOOLS-7-LED-MULTI-FUNCTION-LIGHT-61768-BRAND-NEW-/320878622196?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4ab5db35f4

I have got three and have found they have been a godsend. One caveat is that the curved arms on the base can get broken off...so cross strap(s) of small cable ties proves an effective solution.

You can use the blue gel of your choice of course.

You might consider these; granted not in "Rolls Royce" bracket but cheap and very versatile with two output levels...and can be moved to search the floor under the desk when you drop the script...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab5db35f4

I have got three and have found they have been a godsend. One caveat is that the curved arms on the base can get broken off...so cross strap(s) of small cable ties proves an effective solution.

You can use the blue gel of your choice of course.

So it's bracket mounted, battery powered and white? Not blue, not USB powered and not on a gooseneck? Thanks

Archived