Giant DMX controlled Chandeliers

Liamb

So Phantoms been released for schools... Any ideas where I can get my grubby mitts on a giant DMX controlled Chandelier? I think that around 2m is probably a good width and 1m a good height but I'm open to options (if any).

Liam.

Sorry, I should have elaborated a little more. I would like to have a couple of different circuits within the chandelier. The need to plug DMX directly in isn't essential as I can connect it to dimmers, if such a contraption exists I would imagine it would have more functions than intensity for a few channels... Maybe I'm just dreaming.

A sunstrip hacked to bits could be used to make a nice chandelier?

Fair point really, the sunstrip does offer a neat 10 channel dimmer pack that runs on not much electricity.

I reckon the lamps are still a bit big though. LED Chandeliers are becoming popular in the hotel industry, so they definitely do exist.

All that aside, how long will it be before we see "Young child now has chandelier permanently embedded in their skull after school play goes wrong" when some school tries to swing a 1930s antique chandelier off their fire exit sign with a bit of blue poly rope?

We did a show that had a spoof of this bit of Phantom once - we made one (ok, it was *meant* to look unprofessional) held together with chains so it could lie flat and rise from the stage.

The lights were small fairy lights wired spread across 8 circuits from memory and we used a cheap small dimmer pack which If I remember correctly had been built into the 'top' piece of the chandelier meaning that only hard power and a DMX line had to be ran to the fixture.

Another interesting thing about this release is of course it pretty much requires flying to be effective ... and this is something I would expect many schools do not have the facilities or knowledge to do safely.. I do hope they'll ask people for advice rather than just go blindly ahead and hang heavy chandeliers from ropes above stages...

I'd be very VERY surprised if they've released this without some sort of adaptation to make the chandelier practical and safe for schools to do included in the pack. Schools les-mis has different casting, adjusted vocals and staging suggestions that eliminate the need for the revolve / bridges / sliding barricade precisely because they're beyond the reach of most schools.

I'd be very VERY surprised if they've released this without some sort of adaptation to make the chandelier practical and safe for schools to do included in the pack. Schools les-mis has different casting, adjusted vocals and staging suggestions that eliminate the need for the revolve / bridges / sliding barricade precisely because they're beyond the reach of most schools.

My school is performing Phantom in February and I can say that no adaptation at all has been made and the chandelier is a problem currently circling my head. Balsa wood, foam and fairy lights I think!! We have no fly tower, no fly points, no revolve, no trap doors and a measly 24 channels of dimming.... Fun times ahead.

My school is performing Phantom in February and I can say that no adaptation at all has been made and the chandelier is a problem currently circling my head. Balsa wood, foam and fairy lights I think!! We have no fly tower, no fly points, no revolve, no trap doors and a measly 24 channels of dimming.... Fun times ahead.

In all honesty why ?? ? who picked it ? ? ? ?

We have issues at the moment as we have 2 guys in 1st year and 2 guys in 2nd year, we are looking at a bit of resexing but we are having to pick something we know we can do, (little shop is likely as are a couple of other shows) but there are only a hand full of shows that can accommodate a 1:6 ratio.

Sensible decisions are key.

Archived