Stabbed by an umbrella?

Moschops

I was wondering if any body could help me? I have just been handed a script in which an actor is found on stage stabbed in the back with an umbrella the handle sticking upright. I can think of many ways of doing this a cut down umbrella fixed onto some kind of plate, use of a tube etc.

The problem comes at the end of the play when the umbrella is supposed to be removed from the corpse and used to stab another actor on stage, and by stab I mean to stay stuck in the back of the actor again. This second actor is onstage from the beginning of the play, is costumed in a t-shirt, and the play is being performed in a small studio space in the round, so there is not much scope for hidding anything.

Other than having to resort to the umbrella being stuck under the actors arm I am stuck. Does anybody know of another method that could be used with out turning it into a comic, crass moment.

I do have a little bit of time to build/make so any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you.

could you perhaps use a neodymium magnet fixed to the end of the umbrela.. have a steal plate under the actors cloths (or another magent).. you can get some pretty dam strong magnets.. something like this perhaps?

just a thought.. might not work depending on how big the umbrela is..

rgds

chris

hey... could you possibly make the actor wear a belt with and ending buffer on it that the trimmed end of the umbrella sticks into.... Because you could also put a blood pack in the buffer that the umbrella would peirce on impact...

This is a picture of a shower rail with an ending buffer so u can see what I mean..

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/982-2757

You should be able to find them at BnQ dead cheap.

Just an idea xxx Becks xx

Hi,

Im presuming you are taking part in the National Theatre Shell Connections 05 performing the play 'Just' as that is what I am currently working towards too, and yes,me and the rest of the crew are having as much difficulty as it sounds you are with the stabbing in the back with the umbrella problem. Although I must add that our performance isnt in the round so it takes a little weight off our shoulders, eg hidden attachments etc.

Anyway, just incase you were wondering we have tried to use attachment in the girls costume eg tubes etc but with no luck....I never realised quite how heavy umbrellas are.

Well, if I come up with any ideas Ill let you know. Good luck with the show and the problem solving

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

It's nice to know that I am not the only one struggling with this! It is for "Just". I hope that it is going well for you. We are going to have an emergancy umbrella meeting where we are going to solve this, but it is looking like it is going to have to be a complete build so as to get it light enough to be able to use some thing like the buffer of magnets?!

I'LL let you know if we manage to crack it.

Good Luck.

Does the umbrella ever get oppened ? if not balsa might be a little light, you'll have to try it, but what about a blasa crafted umbrella this will be light. Almost to light, if it is maybe a heavier wood say - ply.

Then use the magnet Ideas with it.

Can't you make the tip really, really sharp, and then just stab it into the victim? This would also mean you wouldn't have to worry about fake blood.

The downside, of course, is that you'll require a new actor for each performance. Do you have an adequate supply (or a suitably short run)?

Hmmmm. On second thoughts, maybe the "under the arm" trick has got something going for it...

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just a reply for Sarah, what we have finally done is made a fake umbrlle out of two plastic tubes which fit inside each other. Wieghted the bottom one and put a metal "spike" (not pointed) on the smaller tube. This way when we stab the body the umbrella shrinks and we have it being stabbed into a small block of oasis (flower arranging block), which is sewn into the costume.

Because the umbrella is so light it stays upright. Anyway it seems to be working for us.

Hope you found a solution! And good Luck!

Thanks for all the other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. We ended up doing a mechanism with a piece of plumbers copper piping. Sewed this into the costume and just fitted a light umbrella into it. Worked pretty well....although it does fall out on stage in rehearsals sometimes. Actors huh?! Cant help messing around!! ** laughs out loud **. Anyway, hope all goes well with your performances. we are off to our regional performance in 2 weeks. Should be fun. Sarah

Archived