Effect Projection

Gwion

I've been approached to assist on an art project, and have decided to try my best to assist!

It's a labour of love (yes, no budget) project!

We want to recreate a silhouetted skyline of old ships' masts 'bobbing' in Caernarfon harbour, from photos from the late 1800's.

Ideally there'd be 5-6 ships' masts and 2-3 layers so they'd be moving slowly to the SFX of creaks and waves.

Initially I thought of using ripple tanks to create the water aspects, and animate the ships' masts digitally and project them using a Christie LX100 projector, BUT...

I'd rather suggest a more 'organic' analogue solution!

I remember the Strand effects projectors, but they seemed to be rotating gobos of clouds and stuff.

This needs to have custom cut gobos (cut from litho plates or something) on a device that will help the gobos 'bob' rather than rotate.

One thing I haven't mentioned is the canvas!

The project would be on the wall of Caernarfon Castle, and needs to be as huge as possible to get a decent effect! (15m or so)!

It's a self funded project, and I'm donating my time for free, so, any solutions need to take into account the restrictive budgets involved in something like this!

If any of you good folk who enjoy custom projects and having creative fun could assist with any practical solutions, I'd be most grateful, and we'd reward with credits and nominal fees.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, and I thank in advance for any advice.

Gwion

There was a version of the VSFX90 (or it may simply have been something which looked like one) which had a couple of pieces of ripple glass which moved up and down on a nylon cam, presumably to create an underwater ripple effect. You might be able to modify one of these, if you could get hold of one. The standard VSFX90 is the rotator with the big glass disks for stuff like clouds. I think this one used the same motor/gearbox and controller but different metalwork.

Dave

If you are looking for an analogue solution, look at using Linebach projection. Take the reflector out of a flood so you have a single point of light, (or you can use 1 1k OR 2k Fresnel with no lens), cut out your silhuette gobo from litho plate and mount in front of your light source. Use a small motor to move the gobo in a see sawing movement to simulate the boat moving in a small swell.

The further away from the light source, the sharper the image is on the wall. Google for Liebach Projector not projection

Definately an analogue solution.

Happy fathers day to everyone.

Gwion, have you spoken to those with experience of doing just this on the curtain walls? CADW have had umpteen projection events and if you have the budget to hire/buy then getting in the man-who-can that has successfully done this awkward job seems reasonably sensible.

The angle of projection from the car park is one hassle and I would think the visual interference from the moorings in front of the wall would be distracting. It is one big, 30 metre wide, screen and the towers frame it such that anything less than full height/width might look a tad "pathetic".

Re-inventing the wheel in an "organic" manner can often result in square wheels and starting from what is known to work might give you the information required to do something "funky".

mount the projector (of whatever type) on a shoogly table, and use a small boy to shoogle the table as required.

For our friends from south of the (imaginary) border, who may not be familiar with the term...

Shoogly = (roughly) wobbly. <_<

Gwion, have you spoken to those with experience of doing just this on the curtain walls? CADW have had umpteen projection events and if you have the budget to hire/buy then getting in the man-who-can that has successfully done this awkward job seems reasonably sensible.

The angle of projection from the car park is one hassle and I would think the visual interference from the moorings in front of the wall would be distracting. It is one big, 30 metre wide, screen and the towers frame it such that anything less than full height/width might look a tad "pathetic".

Re-inventing the wheel in an "organic" manner can often result in square wheels and starting from what is known to work might give you the information required to do something "funky".

Thank you.

I have myself had experience of projecting on to the walls, but am looking at doing someting different.

I have the expertese (as Technical Director in a venue in Caernarfon) and some equipment at our disposal.

As we're in the early planning stages, I have posted here to gather possibilities together.

I'm not dismissing anything at the moment, and we'll present our preferred method to CADW once we reach our informed decision.

Diolch

Another organic approach would be to use a combination of animation wheels and gobos for the water, and some DHA yoyos with custom gobos for the masts.

All projected by whatever conventional profile suit the beam angles and output needed.

Or a custom animation disc in a Mac 550 or equivalent...

...animation wheels and gobos... DHA yoyos with custom gobos ... custom animation disc in a Mac 550 or equivalent...

All good suggestions but I think you may have missed the bit about not having any budget! B-)

I think the trick with the small boy is the way, but why restrict yourself by 50%: small girls will do just as good a job.

• 2 weeks later...

...animation wheels and gobos... DHA yoyos with custom gobos ... custom animation disc in a Mac 550 or equivalent...

All good suggestions but I think you may have missed the bit about not having any budget! B-)

I think the trick with the small boy is the way, but why restrict yourself by 50%: small girls will do just as good a job.

I Meant to say Low Budget, not No Budget in my 1st Post.

A Boat with a Buoy might work better, and be more acceptable than a small boy or girl.

Archived