Ramp from stage onto stage floor (only 6 mm!)

jackthebuilder

I'm laying a 6 mm pre-painted ply floor on a stage. Screwed to the stage so no onstage taping issues hopefully! We'll be using a lot of trucks from offstage.

I can't afford to extend the floor right into the wings, so there will be a 6 mm 'step' that the trucks will have to go over.

The trucks will be a mixture of those that I build myself, using 100 mm rubber-tyred casters which I don't think will cause a problem as long as the edges are well taped down, and those supplied by the scenery hire company where the casters are an 'unknown quantity'.

To cover all the options and potential problems I would like to add a ramp at the sides of the stage. Sure, only going from say 1 or 2 mm up to 6 mm over a few inches, and I can cut/plane thin timber to do the job, but are there any products out there that are designed specifically for something like this?

Or any bright ideas anyone? :-)

Many thanks. Jack.

I would really push to extend the 6mm into the wings, even if only partially.

I'm not looking forward to the smooth arrival of the trucks being pre-empted by them bumping up onto the 6mm.

I doubt there's any product specifically for the purpose, but there are bits & bobs available to manage the transition from one kind of flooring to another. eg: (from a 2 second google) clicky.

Good search terms are "threshold" and "transition".

Wouldn't it be far simpler to run a router over the plywood on the edge? Any thin strip will be likely to split, even fixing it to the floor would be tricky - a router would be quick, simple and strong.

I would really push to extend the 6mm into the wings, even if only partially.

I'm not looking forward to the smooth arrival of the trucks being pre-empted by them bumping up onto the 6mm.

I'd suggest a hybrid of both of these. At a minimmum, a 'holding area' for a single truck, ready to move onto the stage without a transition. Perhaps just a single 8x4 sheet with a suitably bevelled edge.

We lay 6mm MDF to paint or protect our floor sometimes and whilst not significant the step is noticeable with trucks/cases on a silent stage.

If you can get away with filling to the floor, for ease and to make a longer ramp than just a routed edge I'd use a 12"-ish strip of 3mm ply/MDF around the 6mm and fill the two 3mm steps. If you can't, do the same, fill the top step and route the bottom one.

brainwave has the best idea.

Alternative would to be to creat 6mm tracks off stage. Im assuming their being held in the wings? Find the line the wheels are going on and just use strips (maybe even some of your offcuts) to creat a holding line.

G

• 3 months later...

Belated thanks to all who replied.

If it's any help to anyone searching for this kind of thing in the future, what I did was to tape the offstage edges of the floor after it was laid (to minimise trip risk and any chipping from anything catching it), then, after the actual positions of the trucks had been confirmed, laid additional offcuts (as was suggested) and a few full sheets of ply in the appropriate positions and running as far offstage as was required so the trucks could be set up for cues on the same level as the stage.

You can tape the edges of these additional pieces if you want/need to, but if they are offcuts/scrap ply, then probably no need unless you feel there is a trip risk.

Only thing to watch is that if you are covering any dips in the process, make sure LX/sound/whoever has finished running cables before you cover them!

Thanks again to all, and all the best for the festive season.

Jack.

Archived