Sporting Excitement and Safety

indyld

Having just watched Olympic wind surfing silver medalist Nick Dempsy swim ashore, climb up some rocks and the crowd surge forward to an unprotected edge by the sea (much to the obvious concern of the two security guards whose morning had probably been going fine until then), I have a question.

When we are planning for safe systems for participants or spectators, what happens when Andy Murray falls and breaks his leg (or worse) while climbing up a Wimbledon stand to cuddle his family while no doubt excited children are being hoiked over barriers in a moment of national sporting excitement.

Is this akin to an uncontrollable/unforeseen act or are the organisers held to account by his lawyers, if not HM the Queen, for not having hi-vis wearing heavies pinning him to the grass and asking him to use the stairs in an orderly fashion?

I'm sure it doesn't make as good television but as I watched crowds push forward towards the edge of the Nothe, I couldn't help but wonder.

Serious thoughts please on the managing of everyone's safety with the added risk factor of medal fulled excitement, crowds and adrenalin.

If there is a natural hazard like water, rocks, steep banking etc and an adjacent crowd then there needs to be some form of segregation/separation. That may be stewards, barriers or any combination but there should be something. Add in the fact that the viewing area has alcohol and children and is ticketed I am surprised that the risk assessment did not appear to cover something like this eventuality.

There should also be at least one safety boat for the public, part of whose role would be to pick up swimmers and land them in a safe place. That applies to "stage diving" windsurfers as much as anyone. If they drown or break a leg then as long as everything possible had been done to prevent them endangering themselves or others...well, tough.

Civil damages are awarded on a points basis so Andy M throwing himself from the Royal Box might be held 99.9% responsible for his own demise and would probably be awarded costs of one penny making the case less than worthwhile bringing.

We should try to dissuade him from climbing though physical intervention brings new risks to be assessed such as the punters rioting. It is difficult, as anyone who has tried to prevent a rock band climbing the trussing well knows. One of those "who is going to be bad cop" moments.

To be accurate, it wasn't a sheer cliff edge, seemed more of the beginning of a much steeper roll on a difficult long grass surface, past the jagged built up rocks before the final splosh. A surge may got a few of the front pack off and rolling and assuming that the old and infirm weren't the first up for the cuddles and back slapping. By the body language of the security guys, it looked like things got a bit big on them quickly and they had to improvise with lots of cattle herding arm movements.

Was interested to see no discernible barrier though, or anyone with a plan when said wind surfer dude dived off the RIB and started heading for the jaggedy rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience the safety management at non-music events is normally piss poor compared to what you would find at your average pop concert.

The cycle road races were nothing short of terrifying and I have never been in a worse crowd surge than when I was dealing with a collapsed lady out the front of Buckingham Palace when the happy couple appeared on the balcony on Royal Wedding day with absolutely nowhere for anybody to go and no safe routes of escape whatsoever.

Archived