Zero 88 Demux 48 Transorb

matty111

Hi I am having a problem with my Demux the other it just stop working I have opened it up, battery and fuse are ok ( I have removed the fuse in the picture) , But where the 240v input is there is a (TRANSORB) that looks to be burned out, but can find out anything about it.

Could anyone help with telling me what I need to buy to replace it and where I can get one from, Or should I just throw it in a corner and leave it for a few years till I need part's out of it.

Thanks

http://i49.tinypic.com/j90s8x.jpg

Hi Matty111,

Normally if you remove this, it will continue to work.

I see you've removed it, so if it's still not working, it could mean it's damaged other things.

If you would like to PM me the serial number, I can see if we still hold any spares for it.

Regards,

it seem to be getting power but nothing on the display

thanks just powered it up getting a bit of buzzing so I know it getting power but display is not working, also a min ago just got some smoke so to the bin it go's thanks for the help, If anyone is selling one with a negative output would you message me thanks.

Just a thought

Where and how will the neutral get from its pin, the track goes to the TRANSORB

and if its not there there is a long circuit (long time till it works)

Or is there another track under the PCB

Somehow we need to get L + N to the transformer

Is / was the transorb in series if so it would need a low resistance

or in parallel when it would be high until there was a spike

Transorbs go between Live & Neutral, so the unit will run without it (sans overvolt protection)

The fact it's blown offers a possible reason why the unit is not working.

It probably got a big spike up its jacksy which blew the transorb and the transformer.

Measure the resistance of the transformer windings, L-N, L/N to E and L/N to extra-low voltage outputs.

Replacing the transformer is fairly cheap and will be worth it if you do still need a demux.

However, if you see a short from mains to extra-low voltage then it's probably not economical to repair as a lot of other stuff will have died.

I still got power and a small buzzing sound so tranformer was working but no display, and after 1 min smoke started to come out, dose any one know what thoses light processes demux are any good or should I just try and get a 2nd hand zero88 thanks, if I don't need the neg kit out of this one I have I will see if any one want its for repair on here thanks

I still got power and a small buzzing sound so tranformer was working but no display, and after 1 min smoke started to come out, dose any one know what thoses light processes demux are any good or should I just try and get a 2nd hand zero88 thanks, if I don't need the neg kit out of this one I have I will see if any one want its for repair on here thanks

Am looking at the fuse cover and can see heat damage to the left, you haven't put the fuse in the wrong holder have you? You should have a 100mA fuse in the 240v holder and nothing in the 110v one, assuming of course you are using a 240v supply.

Yer was in the 240v took it out to test it, thanks for your help. I know what you mean about the burn mark someone could of been messing with it as other people sometimes use the hall and lights.

If you have buzzing, smoke from the transformer and the TransZorb has disintegrated, chances are that it has had a hefty spike or 400V across its input that has damaged either the transformer windings or something downstream of it such as a voltage regulator. You cannot assume that the transformer is OK, just because something seems to be happening. Shorted turns will cause it to overheat and smoke, but some low-voltage output might still be getting through to the demux making parts of it appear to work. Alternatively if you have a shorted regulator on the DC side some or all of the transformer secondary might be overloaded.

My hunch is it would be a fairly straightforward fix involving just the power supply unless you have been unlucky and the damage has reached the guts of the demux itself. However I would be inclined to revisit whatever caused the damage in the first place, as under normal operating conditions user-error or other faults in the unit will not blow up the TransZorb.

Guts noun The internal gubbins of a device that process the input obtained via the jacksy (qv)

Lucien

• 11 months later...

Ours has just let the magic smoke out of the Transorb, :angry:I've removed it and the unit works OK again :)but I would like to replace it.

As it has no markings on it, has anyone any idea of a suitable replacement 'transorb'?

RMS Voltage/power rating etc

TIA

Archived