Long, cheap flightcases

Stuart91

I'm looking for some replacement cases to hold marquee poles. The original fibreboard cases were bought (second hand) from Flightcase Warehouse a few years ago, and they are beginning to show their age, having suffered ample abuse in the meantime.

We're looking to replace them with something similar but I'm not sure what's out there. The internal size required is 2m long by 18cm square. We need five cases this size in total. Some kind of plastic or fibreboard option would be preferrable, as I want to keep the weight down. The cases get stored on top of racking and are often loaded into minibuses etc. so we can't go any bigger with them either - putting all the poles in one massive case isn't an option.

I've asked Flightcase Warehouse for a quote, but they don't have anything suitable in second hand stock. Even at a very competitive price, building new cases is prohibitively expensive, more than the marquee is worth.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any off the shelf options that are out there that I might be unaware of at the moment?

http://i49.tinypic.com/t5nc5f.jpg

rather than a single rigid piece of truss, the poles will settle and pull the case wider than its designed for.

square bit of thin ply at either end of the case? would also stop the poles ripping throught the ends if its stood up

square bit of thin ply at either end of the case? would also stop the poles ripping throught the ends if its stood up

That could work, although I fear it may just move the strain to a different part of the fabric. As Ashley suggests, tri-truss bags may work better.

The main problem we have with our existing cases is that the sides sag out, to the point where the catches won't line up and the case can't shut properly. I might try lining them with thin ply to see if I can get them back into some kind of order, but they're mangled enough that I'm not sure its worth the hassle at this stage. New cases may well be the better investment.

TBH, if you're going to do that you may as well build yourself some ply boxes for the poles.

My thinking is that if I use very thin ply to reinforce the existing boxes, I can get away with cheaper wood, and being able to keep the weight down. Even hardboard might be enough to do the trick. If I build from scratch I guess I'd be looking at 9mm ply at a minimum. On the other hand, I'd far rather get new cases - anything I build myself isn't going to look particularly great.

Archived