BBC audio from the opening ceremony 2012

durian

I agree DJW. However I'd much rather have the (fag packet maths) £200 the whole thing cost us each...

On the subject of audio, I just wished they'd provided a "commentary-free" stream online. I wanted to hear the ceremony at a decent level without Huw Stevens et al deafening me every time they thought of something to say... Weirdly, my girlfriend was much less bothered by the BBC commentary than my own "how the hell are they doing that?!" commentary...

They did. The commentary free option was available on satellite (Sky & Freesat), cable and online through the BBC Sport website.

I agree DJW. However I'd much rather have the (fag packet maths) £200 the whole thing cost us each...

On the subject of audio, I just wished they'd provided a "commentary-free" stream online. I wanted to hear the ceremony at a decent level without Huw Stevens et al deafening me every time they thought of something to say... Weirdly, my girlfriend was much less bothered by the BBC commentary than my own "how the hell are they doing that?!" commentary...

They did. The commentary free option was available on satellite (Sky & Freesat), cable and online through the BBC Sport website.

Ugh. Now you tell me... I did look for it too. Hopefully It's still available for when I rewatch it...

Seems like the broadcast lads dropped the ball this morning. Seems like there is a few loops occuring, first in the breakfast studio and next on the hockey feed! One too many from last night perhaps?

I'm told (from several people who were working on it) that McCartney wasn't live and everything past the opening choir was recorded. Id imagine this was to keep such a complex and fairly long show on time and particularly for the fireworks which would have been very carefully time coded!

I'm told (from several people who were working on it) that McCartney wasn't live and everything past the opening choir was recorded.

If true, that would explain what I thought was a very dry mix on the TV sound.

everything past the opening choir was recorded

In that case, I wish someone had thought to drag a feckin' great magnet across the Arctic Monkeys playback media beforehand, thereby saving everyone a lot of aural discomfort.

McCartney was just an embarassment, too (there weren't even any decent shots of Abe Laboriel Jr., his drummer, to lift the performance a bit - that guy is always good value for money!). As a Beatles fan, it pains me to have to say that - but there's no denying that Maccer is now past it.

Other than that, I thought it was a really good piece of theatre (occasional outbreaks of slightly w@nky "interpretive dance" notwithstanding!). I just wish there hadn't been so much cutting away to VT during the fireworks at the end - Kimbolton played a blinder and it would've been nice to have seen a bit more of it.

Archived