LED Retrofitting

Bryson

Hello all. I wondered if someone who is a bit better at electronics than myself may be able to help. We run, in our cinema, some Kinoton FP30D Projectors. They have a little lamp inside the gate that illuminates the gate to help you lace-up on frame. These lamps are tiny 12v, 5w jobs (We think they're automotive, as you can buy spares in Halfords). Now, these lamps blow all the F*&%ing time, and I was looking at my nicely crafted Maglite retrofit, and was wondering if we could fabricate some kind of LED replacement. The lamps are about an inch and a half long, and make contact with some little spring-clip like devices. Do you think I could knock up an LED replacement? Which bits do I need? Is it as simple as I thought?

:D

Do you know the lamp base type, as you can now get quite a range of LED replacements off the shelf. Otherwise cannabalising a dud lampbase by fitting a white LED and dropper resistor (epoxy it all in place) shouldn't be too hard and would do the job. Alternatively you could uprate the lamp you use (i.e. get one rated for more volts or hours) to extend its life.

Guest lightnix
I'd go with Rob's solution on "recycling" an old lamp base. A little more work, but the result could well be in operation long after you retire.

Archived