Yamaha 01v

Krossteck

Hi All.

I have a Yamaha 01v desk that requires extra channels to work with the new show.

I am looking for a MY8AD expansion card, has any one have a one to sell, or know where I can get one.

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

If you take the time to fill in your profile with a location, people might take the time to reply to you. Yes, I know this is a mainly British based forum, but there are international people on here, so it just makes everyone's life a little easier. :)

David

Hi There, sorry about the profile error, I have filled out a profile update

This is only my second post, but have watched the forum happily for a few years, Thank you

If you take the time to fill in your profile with a location, people might take the time to reply to you. Yes, I know this is a mainly British based forum, but there are international people on here, so it just makes everyone's life a little easier. :)

David

Hi David. sorry about the profile error, I have done an update.

This is only my second post since joining and not truly aware of the site etiquette. Thank you.

David

Hi Jon.

Thanks for the information, I thought the 8 inputs were RTS balanced Mic inputs, using jacks instead of XLR to save space.

I might get away with an extra 4 inputs if the band OK it.

Thanks again

Hi

Don't forget you will need head amps if using them as Mic inputs

Jon

Hi All.

It looks like I need a MY4AD to give me 16 Mic inputs.

Any help still welcome. Ta

It looks like I need a MY4AD to give me 16 Mic inputs.

Any help still welcome. Ta

An MY4-AD will give you 4 more line inputs, like the MY8-AD it has no mic pres, just different connectors. Your best bet for more mic inputs is a Behringer ADA8000 or similar device hooked up to the built in ADAT interface. This will give you 8 more mic ins and 8 more line outs.

Mac

Although it gives more physical inputs, there are no headamps on the card slots.

I don't know the 01V (we use the LS9) if it has got adat bulit in, then either the behringer to give ins and outs or Focusrite octopre to give just ins (more expensive)

Jon

Just goggled 01V and the adat part is an expansion card, so you will need one of those too if you go for the Behringer or Focusrite

and more googling brings up the 01V96VCM has got ADAT built in, so I suppose it depends what version you have

Sorry, yep just realised that!

Unless the OP means 01V96 which has one adat onboard.

Considered told off :-)

We could do with something to 'up the mic count' on our LS9 16 although our 32 is just about big enough for most thing we do.......having said that, I need both for a musical we are doing next week!

The VCM is a newer version but all the family except the original 01V (a fairly rare and not great sounding beast) have one adat onboard.

HI All

Thanks for the help.

The mixer is an old original 01v. I got it to learn about digital control as I am a Analog relic from the happy days, when what you see is what you get.

The band wants to stop lugging a A&H GL2200/32 & 10U of outboard around. and suggested it could all be done by a 01v or newer with extra inputs.

The 01v desk I have has a Digital I/O Card Model MY8-AT ADIT optical, card fitted in the expansion slot.

Another concern I have, as I have never used the extra channels, is do they have the full functions as the first 12,

the manual I think suggests they have limited control.

Thanks again for any help

A few years ago I had to choose a new mixer and I went through an exhaustive process in which I looked at analogue and digital alternatives and my view towards them. I discovered that I am not concerned about the analogue/digital - so called 'happy comfortable days' but that any change of equipment needs to provide at least equal sound quality with easy control interface and good functionality. Smaller boxes were neither here nor there.

Several sound engineers tried to persuade me to buy an 01V but after using one a couple of times I went for a Midas Venice. This is because the 01V was not designed to mix bands on, the sound quality was only OK, the control service only OK and, as you have experienced, adding extra inputs is not easy. In the 8 years since I made that decision the world has moved on. The 01V which was never designed for mixing bands has been replaced by the LS9 which is now obsolete and has been replaced by a generation of mixers which have good sound quality, better control interface and lots of functionality. They happen to be digital but that is not as important as the gains which they bring.

In your position I would acknowledge the band's wisdom in considering a move to digital. I would note that the analogue set up to be replaced works well and I would let them understand that they are replacing the control system and not just the mixer. That will allow you to add the price of all the kit you have been using, including cables and flight cases and give a notional replacement price based on as new pricing. This should allow you to get enough of a spend to fester in their minds that you can get a decent outcome.

I would use any available time to become an expert on second hand LS9 desks and the new Behringer X32 which is a potential game changer. I'm not fond of the LS9 but it can do what you want perfectly well and should start to be available on Ebay at sensible prices as it is now obsolete. The Behringer is new to the market - you need to forget the drivel spoken about Behringer kit, it can do a good job at a price point, let other early adopters sort out any problems and choose between it and the LS9. Ideally you should hire for a night so you can try stuff out.

I hope this is useful,

Graham

Hi Graham.

Thank you for the reply. I can not disagree with anything you said.

I know the future is digital, but as always the problem is cost. I have learned a lot with the 01V I have, but to spend more on something so limited is a problem.

The 01V, was recommended as I know small bands like us use them, ( 01V96 ). Also a friend of the band has offered to show me how he sets his up.

As all shows are different, I wonder if the 01V even with the extra 8 channels can do what the existing kit can do, and still keep the band happy.

The existing kit is in 2 5U flight case's for the FX & Control. with the A&H desk a fight case I made so that all the connectors stay in all the time,

with EDACs ( I know what others think of them, but I made them up & look after them )

connecting to the 28 pair Klotts multicore, & another to the racks. 3 connectors & its working.

If I have to add a 1U Mic input unit, wiring it in to a single case permanently could be a challenge, A new EDAC loom would not be a problem.

I always welcome help & advice from anyone with the knowledge that I do not have. Also I have no problem with Behringer Equipment. The X32 looks amazing ?

Thanks again

I'm in a similar position to the OP. I've had an original 01v with an ADAT card for several years now. It's a powerful and flexible little desk, but the lack of inputs dictates the kind of jobs I use it on. The OP is correct that the additional inputs from the expansion card are not fully featured; they can only address 2 aux sends, have only basic eq and no dynamics. On the later models these channels are fully featured and the routing is far more flexible. I work with a few bands who put on DIY gigs and I've been using mine on low budget jobs where the alternative would be a spirit power station or similar and no outboard, and in this situation it has given great service. I've even done a few 3 and 4 band bills on it. I've been turning down work of late that I can't fit on the board ( budgets are tight so hiring in isn't an option ). I'll definitely be having a close look at the X32 when it comes out, but my budget is limited at the moment. I've got a few outboard graphics, so an 01V96 and an 8ch pre would give me a lot of the functionality of an LS9 at a far lower cost. If you can afford to wait, second hand prices are likely going to drop when the X32 comes out; though what you can raise selling your existing analogue gear is probably going to plummet too.

I have that very expansion card and really only need to use them inputs for music playback as I have enough channels, I too went from mixing analogue to digital and this was the desk I went for, mainly for budget.

For it not being used to mix live bands, plenty of them use this desk and always with really good results. I think that I get a pretty decent mix with it too, and that is going from using an allen and health ZED420.

Archived