Hanging Movers

apexsoundandlighting

Hi there,

I'm doing a gig in september in one of my schools drama rooms, it has lighting bars pre rigged with power & data. I have a pair of robe 150xt's and I was considering hanging them from the roof along with the macs that I'm gonna rent. However neither of the lights came with omega brackets to attach clamps to them. I was wondering if there was any way of fabricating my own clamps. If there is, can you reccomend how I would go about this and what materials I need to buy. I have access to the schools workshops, so tools shouldn't be a problem. Obviously safety is a priority, and I don't want to end up on dodgy techs, would it just be better to hang the rented lights and sticks ours on the speakers?

Thanks

Mat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't have rated brackets and safety bonds to hang something then you cannot hang it, simple as that. Place them on the floor or something or just don't use them. If you can't afford the brackets then unfortunately that's how it is. I know this isn't a very helpful reply but it is something that you'll have to deal with. I'm assuming you are quite young, so I guess it's also good not to get into bad habits early on in a potential career

Should probably re-word this, I was just shocked to find that a single piece of steel costs almost £25, obviously you can't put a price on human life or safety. However if there was a way to safely mount them without the omega clamps (obviously not judging from above :P), and it saved me a few £££ then that would be better. The Robe Spares catalogue doesn't seem to list prices, anyone have any idea of how much they are officially? I have found these:http://www.showtechd...6510_P2158.html

would they be suitable, I don't know if the omegas are standard sizes. Also, as we don't currently hang our lights we don't have any safety bonds, as the robe weighs around 11kgs, would a 15kg bond be suitable, as although the base of the light states that I should use a bond rated for 10x the weight of the fixture, I can't get any rated for 110kg!

edit: found these too. http://www.ltt-versand.de/Licht/Bewegtes-Licht/Zubehoer-fuer-bewegtes-Licht/EUROLITE-Omega-Buegel-fuer-TMH::59708.html?currency=GBP&language=en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping

I have found these:http://www.showtechd...6510_P2158.html would they be suitable

Here's a clue - "EUROLITE Omega Holder For TMH 51786510" - if your lights aren't TMH 51786510's, then no.

Also, as we don't currently hang our lights we don't have any safety bonds, as the robe weighs around 11kgs, would a 15kg bond be suitable, as although the base of the light states that I should use a bond rated for 10x the weight of the fixture, I can't get any rated for 110kg!

Most safety bonds are marked with the weight of the object they are safe to hang, not the rating of the bond. So a 15kg bond should be safe with a 11kg fixture. (I'm sure someone will correct me here, but) It's normally marked as being a WLL - working load limit. Check with the data sheet / certification that came with the bond to make sure.

Would an option be to see if the company your hiring the other movers from have the clamps lying around and could throw them in for little or nothing?

also it sounds very odd to not have had clamps with them? unless they were second hand?

Renting them from the rental company was an option that I considered, but as I bought them ex-install from the rental company I know they don't have any available. I'm assuming by dosxuk's post that omega clamps aren't a standard size and vary by light. If they are then I'll need to get the official ones from robe.

To be fair to Robe I don't think they are ripping you off and I think you'd struggle to get the necessary parts and fabricate them to the necessary accuracy for less than they are charging.

Either leave them on the floor or bite the bullet and buy the right tool for the job!

25 pounds seems a reasonable price to me.

Stop complaining, im paying almost $100 for Mac Omega's (60 pounds?)

I wonder if they are the same size as a Mac Omega? As I know here in Oz a few companies do thier own brand of Omega's which fit Mac's.

Should probably re-word this, I was just shocked to find that a single piece of steel costs almost £25, obviously you can't put a price on human life or safety. However if there was a way to safely mount them without the omega clamps (obviously not judging from above :P), and it saved me a few £££ then that would be better. The Robe Spares catalogue doesn't seem to list prices, anyone have any idea of how much they are officially? I have found these:http://www.showtechd...6510_P2158.html

would they be suitable, I don't know if the omegas are standard sizes. Also, as we don't currently hang our lights we don't have any safety bonds, as the robe weighs around 11kgs, would a 15kg bond be suitable, as although the base of the light states that I should use a bond rated for 10x the weight of the fixture, I can't get any rated for 110kg!

edit: found these too. http://www.ltt-versand.de/Licht/Bewegtes-Licht/Zubehoer-fuer-bewegtes-Licht/EUROLITE-Omega-Buegel-fuer-TMH::59708.html?currency=GBP&language=en&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping

Well there is only a market for maybe a few thousand a year I guess. How would you expect the manufacturer to actually make a profit if the were say a fiver?Look on Ebay for secondhand. Make sure they are the right ones,pitch of holes etc. You can get for Macs so I assume you can for Robe a single plate that covers all four holes. My smaller movers hang on one clamp that is fixed to the two mounting holes on the unit

Archived