Noisy Amplifiers

Illuminatio

Noisy in what way? Noisy fans? Humming transformers? Audible hum/buzz in the audio output?

David

Sorry - thought the reference to airflow made it clear. Noisy fans. They've been chugging away for 15 years, but have always been pretty loud.

Replacing the original fans with quieter ones can often make a substantial difference. If the amp often runs hot, make sure the new fan has good airflow volume. Papst do a range of quieter fans (amp fans are often 24V types) which can be used. Google 'quieter fan for ep2500', as the Behringer amp is very popular with Home Theatre types, apart from the fan. There are many mods detailed. One here discusses airflow needs.

Presumably you have had a look inside to see if there is an accumulation of crud in the housing or on the vanes or blades? 15 years ago is pre non smoking and it may be the kit or filters etc are partially gunked up?

There again 15 years is a fair time for the fans if they have been switched on and off a few times.

If you do go the replacement route then the Papst motored ones are likely to be very decent quality...(40 odd years ago Bush House and doubtless other stations/centres, were chock full of 10" NAB tape machines powered by Papst kit. Very low wow and flutter specs on the ones I saw and they were old when I used them).

I suppose fan technology R&D got a boost when PCs arrived so with any luck finding a replacement is not going to stretch your googling skills...you might find you are spoilt for choice in fact.

Archived