Public Liability Insurance

Tele

I use my modest PA for pub gigs, maybe once a month. I do not charge. Some times the band is payed but usually not. I'm very aware if a speaker stand collapsed or was pulled over the speaker could kill or injure some one. So, at what point do I conceder Public Liability Insurance?

Tele (Worried of Worcester)

You should have had it in place before you did your first gig :o

It has nothing to do with weather you or the band gets paid, if you injure someone in a public place, then you are liable.

It's called PLI (Public Liability Insurance), not IDGPSIMNNPLI (I Didn't Get Paid So I May Not Need Public Liability Insurance :P

Check out:

Musicguard:

http://www.musicguard.co.uk/home.asp?gclid=CIyUwt6NgbECFcYmtAodNkYC-Q

Arthur Doodson:

http://www.doodsonbg.com/Entertainment

For what you say you're doing, Musicguard should be fairly cheap, of course the proof there, is when a claim is made!

Before you rush off and insure, check out whether the landlords policies cover you as a voluntary worker. They usually have fairly comprehensive insurance and you are not charging them to borrow the kit.

It is a grey area since money or hire is not involved so the onus "should" be on the organiser/employer/host. Once cash changes hands the onus becomes yours or the bands.

Lightsource, I checked this recently when asked to help some friends at a community event. As long as I did not get paid for a specific role I was covered by their event insurance.

so plenty of time to save up for my first premium.

MusicGuard should be around £20 a month for £5 Million PLI, so if it's suitable for you, then it's not going to cost much. You can also insure your gear with them as well.

Edit to add,

Kerry, would a community event hold a similar insurance as a live music venue? I think for the costs involved, he'd be better off having his own PLI, as it's his own PA gear.

• 3 weeks later...
Had a friend in a not dissimilar situation (band member with PA he used for himself and a few other bands) - he ended up with PLI from Direct Line business Insurance with a £2M cover which was fairly cheap (can't remember how much he paid but he was happy with the price) - Managed to do most of the application online but they ended up describing his business as a mobile disco.

...but they ended up describing his business as a mobile disco.

Which in the event of a claim may well end up rendering the insurance invalid.

my first thoughts were exactly that ! ..... but I suppose the nature of the risk is near identical. Still wouldn't like to test out any insurance policy regardless of what it states

my first thoughts were exactly that ! ..... but I suppose the nature of the risk is near identical. Still wouldn't like to test out any insurance policy regardless of what it states

Nice thing (for the insurance company) about it being invalid is the risks are pretty immaterial, they don't have to pay out any money!

David.

Archived