Seano shows just what a lot of people who use them regularly think of the scheme, it is a money-making exercise.

The basic IPAF in no way satisfies what should be the basic standard of MEWP operation, half day shared between 4 is nowhere near sufficient hands-on time, there should be one machine per trainee.

PAL+ is about the level I would expect from anyone allowed in a basket, someone who cannot operate in a confined space shouldn't be up there.

It doesn't matter if the same person delivers the course and the test as long as they can actually drive the things really well, they often cannot.

Pal+ should be the bare minimum and XX hours practical experience added for hired drivers.

A log book proving regular use of MEWPS with a minimum hours total and possibly a very brief test should be all that is required for renewal. Full tests for regular users are an insult.

Personally, as a site/safety manager, I could not give a damn about forklift or MEWP tickets, I was still responsible for the competence of drivers and more than once stopped ticketed drivers from "working" and sent them off to quiet corners until I could see they were safe to let loose among other workers. I have also seen a trainer rush through a course on one type of machine then issue tickets for other classes of machine. I have more confidence in my chocolate teapot than in tickets.

There are also some quite amazingly poor MEWP hire companies and even nationwide hire can result in some very dodgy equipment being used. It isn't just the training that is not fit-for-purpose. Check out Glasgow, the Black Hole of MEWP safety where even the fire brigade MEWP's fail.

Just helping clean up the industry!

Of course you are.

Seano, Thanks for the feed back, appreciated,

Sarcasm - money is not my motivating factor! But I like your stance - "Better to be cautious 100 times than dead just once!"

Kerry, I ejoyed reading your post and glad to hear that you take a firm stance as a site/safety agent. I often say to people that having your 'ticket/PAL etc' is only 1/10 of the bigger picture.

Below is a link to the 'Free' members area of my website showing a rogues gallery of MEWP/Incidents in the media/free forms etc. You may find it useful for any future toolbox talks etc.

http://www.accessoperator.co.uk/members-log-in/

Guest Password: MERLIN

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my previous post

If anybody would like to discuss the use of powered access in greater detail, have access to MEWP industry professionals, discuss any specific aspect of MEWP safety or training etc and are members of Linked-In, 'Powered Access UK Group' welcomes input from Safety Officers, Facility Managers, Site Agents and all End-Users:

If you read the course description it appears to be an optional course designed for new or inexperienced users as well as those with little or no formal Health and Safety Training. Like many of you I think the basic PAL course practically is insufficient for new users however as the PAL+ is unit specific it seems designed for companies, sites or venues with 1 or more specific units and will be unpopular with new drivers as many will not afford the cost of multiple unit types. I renewed my licence in Febuary and have driven 27 units of 4 types since then in theatres, arenas, feilds, temporary stages even a moat which goes to show in our industry you will face all sorts that cannot be covered by a 1 day course.

When I did my first IPAF course (SPB and SL) the only practical experience offered was to drive forward up a slight incline, vertical to height of 2 story building, lower, reverse to starting position. At my local center things have now moved forward however more is required but we cannot expect non industry training to be 100% suitable to our needs as we are not a construction site and who else works almost entirely with temporary installations?

Archived